We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just another update

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Just another update

Just posted about my trip on the Luxor forum but I have just spent two days in Cairo so I thought you may be interested in my experience.

I was met from my internal flight by the number one tour guide recommended on here. I can only say that he well deserves this accolade as he was brilliant!

I had no problems although the hassle was worse than in Luxor. I was shocked how the Giza plateau had got so many people selling things compared to my last visit six years ago. I was glad I had my guide with me as he was able to deal with most of it.

My first day was Dashur and Sakkara and I visited the Serapeum, brilliant! Then I was at the Mena House hotel and there are no concerns since the contract with Oberoi finished. It was a lovely chance to experience a touch of class!

My only problem was just as we approached the hotel there were a group of men in the road, blocking our way. they were illegal camel drivers and determined to intimidate people into taking rides. They actually banged on the car!

They were also very persistent everywhere on the plateau as we're all the sellers.

I originally had intended to go alone as it was so close to the hotel. But I took the advice here and booked the guide and was really glad I did.

I also went inside the pyramid of Khafre and the tomb of Mersesankh, both newly opened.

All in all a wonderful trip, no trouble and there were plenty of tourists there.

Memphis Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Emo Tours Egypt
City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Egypt Tailor Made Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips
Ramasside Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just another update

Hi Rowz,

Glad you had a good time. I had a problem with the camel touts also banging on the boot of the taxi, yes it was very intimidating but now I know what to expect, I will be ready in September as I'm going on my own to Giza;) I must be mad! I will report back to the forum what happens.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just another update

Our mutual friend is looking forward to your visit. Many thanks for putting me on to him as he couldn't have done more to help me see as much as possible.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just another update

Thanks for the report Rowz! I'm looking forward to visiting the tomb of Meresankh myself in March. I had figured that the camel drivers would have been past the Mena House, but I guess that isn't the case. Have fun on the rest of your trip.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just another update

I think if you will go to the pyramids it's better to join a tour guide as this will be more safe for you especially from the camel drivers

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just another update

Magdy M

You are absolutely right. I stupidly thought that being so close it wasn't worth it but I was wrong. Apart from the fact you need a car to get around the site, a good guide is worth their weight in gold. They keep the touts away with some choice words when they get too much!

Also, despite a few sign posts the tomb of Meresankh is very difficult to find so you need one to ask where it is. We found a tourist police man who showed us, for small baksheesh of course!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just another update

Yes Rowz you are right about all of your words also you are right about the tourist police man he should help the people without any tip but he not he just help waiting for tip I do not like to mention about this but this is the case here in Egypt we hope we can change that after our 25th Jan revolution we will try to be the best and the most attractive country for the tourists worldwide

7. Re: Just another update

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 05:16