We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Cairo tomorrow--how are things in Tahir?

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
657 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving Cairo tomorrow--how are things in Tahir?

Hi: we arrive mid-day tomorrow, Saturday. I haven't seen much if anything mentioned in regards to protests or violence lately. I hope that is the case. We will be going to the Egyptian Museum around 2pm. Is Tahir quiet these days? Ok for a family to wander about a bit? Thanks much!

Chelsea, Alabama
Level Contributor
43 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving Cairo tomorrow--how are things in Tahir?

We went to the Museum Saturday two weeks ago. I think the protests are on Fridays. Our guide had the driver let us out in front of the museum and he picked us up. He didn't want us to wander around the Square. Museum was wonderful due to the sad lack of visitors we had ample time to spend with the King Tut exhibit.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving Cairo tomorrow--how are things in Tahir?

It's sort of hard to say right now. After being closed for four months, local shop owners last night tried to evict the campers, and there were a few hours of trouble. It is quiet in the square now and should be fine tomorrow. You're timing might actually be perfect- could be totally open and without trouble tomorrow. You'll know immediately if there is any problem and people will warn you away.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving Cairo tomorrow--how are things in Tahir?

I was there 10 days ago. Stayed in the Hilton just down from Tahir square. Have to say we didn't see any trouble. People did tell us to stay away from it but it was kind of unavoidable because of where we were going. But it was all very peaceful. However things seem to change on a day to day basis. Generally things seem to have settled down from the last time I was in Cairo a few months after the revolution, there is a much better atmosphere in the city and we didn't have any trouble except for the usual (touts, taxis etc).

In Cairo go with the flow but keep your wits about you, don't believe anyone in the street that tells you an attraction is closed, go check for yourself. Egyptian people are very friendly but unfortunately there are also people who like to take advantage of tourists ingnorance.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving Cairo tomorrow--how are things in Tahir?

Hi Johnson, welcome to Cairo? Tahrir is quiet today- the museum should be totally fine and you all can take a stroll around if you like. Have a nice stay.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
257 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving Cairo tomorrow--how are things in Tahir?

All good. Just got back to the hotel from the Museum.

Makes you wonder though what the Ritz is going to do with their property.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving Cairo tomorrow--how are things in Tahir?

In an ideal world Tahrir would be made into a pedestrian area/park, thereby maybe getting rid of this idiotic fight every couple weeks over whether or not traffic will be able to pass through or not. Alas, right now we are not allowed to have nice things.

I am not usually one for nostalgia, but I would have loved to see downtown back in the 50s/60s when all the french-inspired buildings were white instead of dust colored and tahrir looked like this:

…blogspot.com/_ap-e3Rv_RUo/TUQb2hnNepI/AAAAA…

London, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving Cairo tomorrow--how are things in Tahir?

Went to the museum today. No sign of any problems.

8. Re: Arriving Cairo tomorrow--how are things in Tahir?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 March 2013, 06:05
San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
657 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving Cairo tomorrow--how are things in Tahir?

We were the as well ..same time! Kind of bummed they kicked us out at 4;30! So much more to see we may have to g o back! Enjoy!!

10. Re: Arriving Cairo tomorrow--how are things in Tahir?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 06:16