We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will the Egypt Air cancel their flights without notice?

Changchun, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Will the Egypt Air cancel their flights without notice?

Hi everyone, I would fly to Athens by Egypt Air, and would layover in Cairo Intl Airport for quite a period in early August. I know it might seem stupid to propose this question, but, is it possible that Egypt Air cancel the scheduled flight according to safety situation there? If they did, in what way would they notice us? I booked the flight 2 weeks ago via a travel agency, would Egypt Air notice the agent or post refreshin news on the website? All I want to know is, has anyone experienced cancellation of flight of Egypt Air? As of the safety during layover, it's really hard to predict. I could only pray for that.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will the Egypt Air cancel their flights without notice?

Things would have to get a lot worse (possible) for problems with international flights. When EgyptAir changes your booking or cancels a flight, they email you when the change occurs, in my experience.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will the Egypt Air cancel their flights without notice?

They do have a history, certainly for internal flights, of cancelling flights at fairly short notice - thinking of those to Aswan & Abu Simbel in recent times. I was never directly involved so not sure of the time-scales involved.

Level Contributor
8,531 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will the Egypt Air cancel their flights without notice?

Since you booked through an agency that is the primary contact for any changes. It is always a good idea to reconfirm an international flight (especially with Egyptair) about two days in advance just to be sure. If for any reason the agency is not open (weekend?) you may not get the information. Modesto's advice above may apply if you booked directly with them. Although travel agents give the airline your phone number (or they should) airlines seldom reach beyond the first contact. Clearly given the situation if that were my flight I would be checking right up to the day. If for any reason they cancel they are obligated to get you from point A to point B within a certain time frame but hope all goes well for you.

Changchun, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will the Egypt Air cancel their flights without notice?

Thank you so much! I will keep noticing the Egypt Air till 48 hrs before my departure.

Changchun, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Will the Egypt Air cancel their flights without notice?

Many a times people from my country met with such incidents, so I would watch that all the time. Thanks anyway!

Changchun, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Will the Egypt Air cancel their flights without notice?

And thank you Gene! I talked to my agent and they promised to let me know whenever anything happens. I could only wish Egypt would soon return to normal, though this seems tougher to realize.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
211 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will the Egypt Air cancel their flights without notice?

I just had an internal flight from Luxor to Sharm (direct) cancelled about a week ago. The booking was for early October and so we were given fair warning but it is inconvenient. A 50 minute flight from Luxor to Sharm has now become a 5 hour schlep from Luxor to Cairo and then a wait of 2 hours before a flight from Cairo to Sharm. So yes, Egypt Air's reputation for cancelling flights is going strong.

Level Contributor
8,531 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will the Egypt Air cancel their flights without notice?

I would add that at his may become more and more common...cancelling flights depending on "load factors". For example October flight (above post) would normally be quite full but they have an inventory control that looks at the flights a certain number of days/months in advance and adjust things depending on the traffic...so given the political situation in Egypt now I think people should be really careful to reconfirm because they are not in the business of operating empty flights.

El Gouna, Egypt
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will the Egypt Air cancel their flights without notice?

There is no need to worry whatsoever about Egpytair and cancelled flights. For a start, Cairo airport is s totally secured zone. Egypt air are a very well organised business and they are in fact the last airline to cancel flights to the country. You can book a nice stop over hotel such as the fairmont helipolis and you will not even know there is anything going on. So just relax.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Will the Egypt Air cancel their flights without notice?

Kim E - have you thought about travelling from Luxor to Hurghada, and then take the ferry to Sharm?

It's possibly an alternative to flying via Cairo.

Get answers to your questions about Cairo