We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Ancient Egypt Museum

España
5 posts
Save Topic
Best Ancient Egypt Museum

What is the best museum about Ancient Egypt in the world, except for the Cairo National Museum?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

I think you will get a fairly wide variety of opinions on that.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,330 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

Excellent ones I have visited are the British Museum, the Louvre, the Metropolitan, Turin, and Brooklyn. The Petrie is smaller but interesting. Berlin has a good one I have not visited.

I can recommend quite a few smaller museums and collections if you like.

In Egypt, the Luxor Museum is very high quality and the Nubian Museum in Aswan has my favourite Egyptian statue of all, Horemakhet, son of Taharqa.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

One more for the list of excellent museums, within Egypt itself, is the Imhotep Museum, at Saqqara. It may be very small but its collection of objects associated with the necropolis itself is wonderfully displayed and covers a vast timespan, from the Proto-dynastic (Dyn. 1 & Dyn. 2) right the way through to Ptolomaic, Roman & even Coptic antiquities.

Well worth a visit next time you're in Cairo.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

Impossible to answer - one person's "best" may be another's "boring" - and I am not convinced that the OP is serious .....

That said, of the world-famous collections, I prefer that in the Louvre, Paris, France.

España
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

What's so interesting about the Petrie?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

Excellent choice. If in London, one might also take in the Sir Hans Soane Museum, which houses Seti I's alabaster coffin, amongst other architectural curiosities. (There's also the Egypt Exploration Society's collection, but I think one has to be a member to visit (not that dear to join BTW)

Midlands
Level Contributor
156 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

The Petrie (at UCL) is of great interest to those who have an interest in "scientific" archaeology, the history of Egyptology itself, dating techniques, pottery etc. It houses Flinders Petrie's research collections, and the staff there- academic archaeologists -are amazing.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 14:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

As expected, a lot of opinions on the relative worth of the world’s museums and their individual collections. I’m sure there are people out there who will appreciate all the info but, like pausilypon (Post 4), I suspect that the OP’s enquiries were not all that serious.

Midlands
Level Contributor
156 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

Lots of posts don't look all that serious, but, they still get replies.

España
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Ancient Egypt Museum

I was serious actually. I was wondering if the Egypt museum in Turin is among the top Egypt museums in the world. Instead of asking that, I wanted to see how many people would have it as a 'top of mind' Egypt museum.