We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to exchange money in Cairo?

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
where to exchange money in Cairo?

I arrive this Saturday to Cairo and where should I exchange my $ to Egyptian LE? In airport or in Giza where we drive straight from airport? I can pay for my visa with US $ and our driver charges us US $, all guides take $ also... What is about fees at historical sites, do they take only LE or they can take $?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to exchange money in Cairo?

When you arrive at the airport and purchase your visa you can also change some cash into Egyptian Pounds, so as to cover your immediate needs. After that you'll find that most of the major hotels have bank branches that, whilst no longer appearing to be open 24/7 (due to the lack of foreign tourists visiting) are open for long periods during the day and into the evening.

Just out of interest, why are you taking US Dollars? You can pay for your visa using Sterling; it costs less than £10 with the rate of exchange these days, and you don't end up getting the bank's tourist rates when changing currency in the UK. (Remember that, whatever currency you take, the notes you present must be clean, i.e. no writing on them, and undamaged or the banks will not accept them for conversion.)

As for the fees at historical sites, they only accept Egyptian Pounds.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,602 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to exchange money in Cairo?

The OP appears to be American and is thus taking USD.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to exchange money in Cairo?

yes, I come to Egypt from USA.

Should I exchange my $ in airport or in Giza? I stay at Guest House Sphinx in Giza and I doubt that there is an ATM.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,602 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to exchange money in Cairo?

Never having stayed there, I can’t speak for your hotel but there are ATMs all over Cairo. The current troubles may of course effect their up-time etc but most of the banks & bureau de changes should be working more or less as normal and I don’t think you will have too much trouble exchanging money during your stay . As suggested, however, I would exchange some dollars at the airport to get you started.

Edited: 10 October 2013, 14:22
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to exchange money in Cairo?

An owner of hotel wrote me that he can exchange my $ to LE 1$-6.9LE. Is this a good rate?

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to exchange money in Cairo?

If it is a good rate, I will not exchange my money at airport, because I have a driver from the hotel meeting us at airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,602 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to exchange money in Cairo?

According to my iPhone app, it's a good rate but keep a good eye on any 'unofficial' transaction you make and expect.other sales pitches for anything and everything,

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to exchange money in Cairo?

"and expect.other sales pitches for anything and everything,""

BBeckett, please, explain to me what does it mean? English is not my first language.

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,602 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to exchange money in Cairo?

I'm on an iPhone at the moment and it's hard to go into detail but most people you will deal with in Egypt will try to sell you tours, jewellery, souvenirs and so on.

A guy whose changing money is bound to have other business interests besides his hotel and you will no doubt hear most of them. Just don't feel obligated to say "yes" .

Edited: 10 October 2013, 17:20
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to exchange money in Cairo?

Sorry, being based in Lancashire, you just naturally assume Lancaster will be the city just up the M6 from me.