We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night trains / flights / cruises

Dublin, Ireland
5 posts
Save Topic
Night trains / flights / cruises

Hello there

Just planning a trip to Egypt in mid Fed 2014 and looking for some options to reach Luxor from Cairo by train instead than flying or do a cruise on the Nile. I also would like to go down to Aswan.

What would you suggest? Are the night trains ok and more important will they run in Feb?

Thank you for your help!

Rico

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night trains / flights / cruises

No recent experience of the trains - most people recommend flying though - It isn't a silly price.

Trains have recently been one of the most un-reliable travel methods

February - who knows??

Edited: 10 November 2013, 11:26
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night trains / flights / cruises

Flying is better, especially with the delays and condition of the trains. There are reports saying the Cairo-Luxor trains will be back a day or two after the curfew is lifted, but who know. Will wait till it actually happen.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night trains / flights / cruises

Flying is the best option if you have a short holiday. The cost of the flight is not outrageous and is fairly reliable. Train service is not reliable at this time.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,179 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night trains / flights / cruises

Here's an article about the trains (supposedly) coming back online:

en.aswatmasriya.com/news/view.aspx…

I've been on the Cairo to Aswan sleeper; it's....er.....'character-building'.

I'm glad I've done it, to try it out but I'm in no rush to do it again & would always do my utmost to fly instead.

Regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,603 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night trains / flights / cruises

It’s been a couple of years since I took the Cairo-Luxor sleeper train but it was OK at the time and my character (such as it is) was unaffected either way.

Since the revolution, the service, as said, has been somewhat unreliable. It’s also been unavailable since the coup but, assuming that it’s back when you go, I would still expect sporadic delays, cancelations and other disruptions. In short, even if you don’t want to fly, it may be the best choice unless time isn’t a major concern.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night trains / flights / cruises

The train was running after the Glorious June 30 Revolution, but not after the Aug. 14 sit-in dispersals.

Cairo
Level Contributor
392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night trains / flights / cruises

Flying is so much better, more comfortable and more guaranteed as if even the trains work, may be some demonstrators stop it so it is safer to book a flight

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night trains / flights / cruises

Who knows if the trains will be running in February, but on our flight yesterday from LXR to CAI majority of passengers were Egyptians. Not just Egyptians who appeared middle class, but also poorer appearing folks. This to me indicates that there are no good alternatives to flights.

Cairo
Level Contributor
392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Night trains / flights / cruises

That is right since the trains between Cairo and Luxor and Aswan are not working yet that is why the best and may be the only option for them is the flight

ny
Level Contributor
436 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Night trains / flights / cruises

Hey pdmlynek, looking forward to hearing about your travels. I'm right behind you in Dec....