We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo museum

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
558 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Cairo museum

Hi

I have just read a report in the Cairo Post that 200 artefacts in King Tut's exhibit have been moved out of the Tahrir Sq museum to its new home at the new museum in Giza, but the new museum won't be open until 2015. Does anyone know what is left of the King Tut exhibit in Tahrir Square? We're going to Cairo in September, and would hate not to be able to see King Tut.

Thanks, Mark

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo museum

All main and important pieces from king Tut's collection still in Cairo museum, the mask,the 100 kg pure gold cofin, clothes, chariots, Sandals, viscera jars etc....etc.....nothing important moved.......

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
558 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo museum

Phew! Thanks Egyptbud99. Good to know all the main attractions will still be on view.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo museum

But as time passes more and more items will have to be moved. Even the so called important ones will have to be moved to the new museum.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo museum

I have red in an Egyptian newspapers that it was decided not to move any of the main shown pieces .........

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo museum

Think I was in Cairo in 2007, before the troubles & remember the view of the "Tut" objects being pretty poor even then. Would rather recommend the facsimile exhibition that's been touring Germany for the past couple of years...finished in Nuremberg in January but will presumubly pop up elsewhere (Munich?) sometime this summer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,418 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairo museum

IMO most of the Museum’s Tut exhibits are very well displayed and (even in the days when the place was crowded) I've never had any real trouble seeing anything. To each his own of course but I would find it very difficult to work up much in the way of enthusiasm for facsimiles as long as the originals are available for viewing.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairo museum

Actually, I've always found the fact that the Tut-ankh-Amun pieces had been left exactly as Carter originally laid them out, in the main galleries, to be quite appealing. I must admit however that the changes to the display of the most precious objects (such as the inner, solid gold, coffin and the mask is much improved since they blacked out the windows and used only interior lighting.

There again, these are but a fraction of the wonders that are to be found in the museum; the joys of wandering around the less visited galleries is something hard to describe, and this is one reason why actually going there will always top even the best travelling exhibition, be it genuine or replica pieces.

Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairo museum

If you want to see the mummy of King Tut, you will have to go to Valley of the Kings. (extra 100LE after admission costs)

I was in the Cairo museum end of February and there was a LOT of stuff from his tomb... he owned more stuff than I do!

Cairo
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cairo museum

Yes Monique L, the mummy of king Tut still inside his tomb in Luxor at valley of the kings, and that is an extra ticket to go inside his tomb, and all the important treasures are on the Egyptian in down town, also there is a mummy room which is also an extra ticket, where you can see the royal mummies, and among them there is the most preserved mummy for king Ramses the second.

Cairo
Level Contributor
392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cairo museum

All the important belongs of King Tut are in Cairo museum and his mummy is in Luxor