We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intrepid adults, dislike tours - Egypt, Jordan custom trip?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Intrepid adults, dislike tours - Egypt, Jordan custom trip?

Hi there;

Hubby and I are very well-travelled but have found we don't like the big group travel. We are coming from Toronto and are planning 3 weeks in Egypt and Jordan in Dec 2014-Jan 2015.

There are packaged tours with folks like Goway and GAdventures, but I am wondering if there is something a bit more customized that I might be missing.

We are interested in the regular highlights, want to spend some time on a beach (not running around like crazy people), and prefer adult company (no kids on buses).

We are open to B&B's (don't need to be in huge hotels), or something off the beaten track. Any suggestions?

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intrepid adults, dislike tours - Egypt, Jordan custom trip?

You can set up private tours with any of the well-reviewed places under the "things to do" then "activities" section of Cairo reviews here on TA. They'll work with you on an itinerary that's as busy or relaxed as you like. If you go that route, you probably want to tell the guide you eventually get that you do NOT want to be taken to perfume and papyrus shops, unless you do. Alternatively, you can just do Cairo, and Egypt generally, on your own. Taxis and a guide book are totally adequate for some.

For the beach, Egypt has a bunch of destinations. Depends on what you're looking for. It's not so warm in winter. I mean, obviously warm compared to Canada, but not hot beach weather. You'll need to figure out which of the destinations you like and then find a place to stay. For independent travelers I think Dahab is the place, but again, off-season it's going to be quiet without a whole lot of people around. Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada are more geared to package holidays, with big all-inclusive resorts.

Happy planning.

Sharm El Sheikh...
Level Contributor
192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intrepid adults, dislike tours - Egypt, Jordan custom trip?

Agree with modesto111 that it's quite easy to do independently or go half and half and go with a tour guide in Cairo, Luxor, Aswan or wherever. If you're then heading to the beach areas and want something quieter you could start somewhere like Sharks Bay which could be a good starting point in the South Sinai before heading up to Dahab, Nuweiba and then make your way into Jordan.

cairo
Level Contributor
483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intrepid adults, dislike tours - Egypt, Jordan custom trip?

A private guided tour would be the best for you. contact a tour company from the list of things to do >> activities in Cairo. They should customize a great tour for you. You do not need to buy a full package from one company, you could spend a little more time in planning and gather tour options from more than one company...

this is the link of things to do in Cairo :

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294201-Activiti…

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,025 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intrepid adults, dislike tours - Egypt, Jordan custom trip?

To see Cairo properly you need an absolute minimum of two full non travelling days, one in the centre and one out at Giza and Saqqara. Aswan is lovely, don't miss it. I recommend a good couple of days there in addition to a potential trip to Abu Simbel. Luxor can absorb as many days as you give it.

I have been both to Sharm and to Jordan at that time of year. As Modesto says, the weather at that time will be good by Canadian standards, and will be sunbathing weather in the middle of the day, but will be relatively cool and even wet in Cairo and actually cold in parts of Jordan, especially in the mountains. There could also be a wind even on the beaches which makes it feel colder than it is, especially in the water although the water in the Red Sea itself is warm. The Med is not warm at that time.

Perhaps you could work your way down the Nile Valley from Cairo to Aswan, even including a short cruise between Luxor and Aswan, which are readily available and inexpensive obtained locally, when you can sunbathe on deck, and then as someone said over to the coast and up to Jordan. All internal flights in Egypt are on Egyptair. You can take a car and driver between Luxor and Aswan, seeing various important places on the way, but the rest of the travel in Egypt has,to be by plane, except up the Red Sea coast.

Be sure to check your governments advice on travel in this area, as you don't want to be uninsured if you have an accident of some kind.

5. Re: Intrepid adults, dislike tours - Egypt, Jordan custom trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 18:06
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Intrepid adults, dislike tours - Egypt, Jordan custom trip?

I certainly wouldn't want to jump to any unwarranted and/or improper conclusions but Post 5 IMO reads a lot like advertising and/or self-promotion.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 13:33
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Intrepid adults, dislike tours - Egypt, Jordan custom trip?

Over enthusiasm..My sincere apologies. I was not aiming for any free publicity, only to assist if assistance was needed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Intrepid adults, dislike tours - Egypt, Jordan custom trip?

There’s no need to apologise for some well-intended enthusiasm. Good Luck.

9. Re: Intrepid adults, dislike tours - Egypt, Jordan custom trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:15