We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift shopping.

England
Level Contributor
138 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Gift shopping.

Heya,

I'm not the last few days in Egypt and I normally buy small gifts to take back to my family. And was wondering if anyone knows small shops where I can buy them?

I've been told about Khan Al-Khalili and not sure I really want to go there. I'm not good with bargaining and just want a few gifts and don't want to be bombarded with loads of stores. I didn't last more then 5 minutes in the grand bazaar in Istanbul.

Thanks

Khan Al-Khalili
Architectural Buildings, Flea & Street Markets, Shopping Malls
London, United...
Level Contributor
7,385 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift shopping.

You don’t say where in Cairo you will be staying but—while the recent tourist downturn may have pruned them down a bit—most of the central and/or tourist areas have some small to medium-sized souvenir/papyrus shops scattered around.

In a good number of cases, however, the bargaining culture and high pressure salesmanship will be no different than the bazaars. The owner of one shop in Dokki, for example, has his own ‘beware of this man’ poster in a nearby hotel.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift shopping.

If you have time you could go to City Stars mall in Heliopolis, you can take a taxi from Downtown it's not too far. There is an area on the fourth floor which is also called Khan el Khalili. It is a recreation of the Khan but clean and without the hassle, lots of nice shops/souvenirs etc without the hassle, so is a peaceful experience:) I really enjoyed looking around there and you can use your credit card

citystars-heliopolis.com.eg/shopping/…59

England
Level Contributor
138 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift shopping.

I'll go check them out.

Thanks

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gift shopping.

Try the "tentmaker's market" on the opposite side of the main road that runs by Khan el Khalili.

cairo360.com/article/artsandculture/127/the-…

Actually nice handmade stuff, as compared to.....some other places. Relatively low stress.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 11:45
England
Level Contributor
138 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gift shopping.

Thanks guys for the ideas.

I ended up meeting a local and he showed me a place in Khan el Khalil which had fixed prices and was good prices. We took a stair up the main road in a building and the shop was located there.

Thanks

6. Re: Gift shopping.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 00:05
7. Re: Gift shopping.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2015, 06:16