We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Questions - October in Egypt?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
525 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
General Questions - October in Egypt?

Heya,

So basically during October, my parents MAY go to Egypt for one week - I'm thinking I would love to go with them. I'm starting to read the 101 on Egypt but there is SOOO much to know so excuse my silly post.

From my understanding, my parents might go on a Nile Cruise (unsure what that is) or Sharm El Sheikh. My questions are:

1- Let's say we don't do a Nile Cruise or Sharm El Sheikh - what would you consider a good week's worth vacation since there is so much to see?

2- If we do Sharm El Sheikh - I understand that's next to the Red Sea... how would you rate the snorkeling?

3- What is the weather like in Egypt in October?

4- Is it better to have Egyptian Pounds on hand or is American money okay - I hear there are some great markets in Egypt.

I think those are my questions for now. Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Questions - October in Egypt?

HI there,

1- Let's say we don't do a Nile Cruise or Sharm El Sheikh - what would you consider a good week's worth vacation since there is so much to see?

A nile cruise is a boat between Luxor and Aswan, in either direction, usually like 3 or 4 days, stopping at places where you can disembark and go see ancient stuff. Google will show you lots of options and info on them. The typical first-time-to-Egypt trip for people visiting for the antiquities and archeological sites is usually 2-3 days in Cairo and then whatever time you can spare (4-5? days?) in Upper Egypt- Luxor/Aswan. But it depends on what people are interested in. Egypt has a lot. Beyond the pyramids and other sites here in Cairo, and all of the sites around Luxor and Aswan, there's beautiful desert, nice beaches....or one could spend many trips and a lot of time at the historical sites if interested, there are frequent forum contributors who do just that.

2- If we do Sharm El Sheikh - I understand that's next to the Red Sea... how would you rate the snorkeling?

Personally I don't think it makes a lot of sense to visit Sharm from North America. It's for the big resort, all inclusive experience, which is what some folks are looking for, but if that's the case then you can do it for less money and travel time in the Caribbean, Mexico.... But that said, the Red Sea is one of the world's top destinations for diving and snorkeling.

3- What is the weather like in Egypt in October?

Depends where. Cool.

worldweatheronline.com/Cairo-weather-average…

Upper Egypt and Southern Sinai are usually a little warmer than Cairo.

4- Is it better to have Egyptian Pounds on hand or is American money okay - I hear there are some great markets in Egypt.

Change dollars to pounds on arrival.

Happy planning.

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Questions - October in Egypt?

Long way for one week .. I wouldn't spend it at a beach resort like Sharm El Sheikh,

Get to the old parts and see the sights & soak up the atmosphere .. Cairo is hectic but amazing .

if the Nile cruise don't take your fancy you can still go on the Nile for about an hour,

there's plenty of tour boats to be had in Cairo ..

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
375 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Questions - October in Egypt?

For 1 week only I would think a Nile Cruise and Cairo:-)

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,932 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Questions - October in Egypt?

Modesto says weather in October is cool, because he lives in Egypt!. As someone from London, I can report that the weather one year in Luxor in the last week of October was about as hot as we could tolerate. We have been there several times then and it is normally the same.

Otherwise I agree.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Questions - October in Egypt?

Ha, fair enough. Thing is, I've lived in truly cold climes as well, but here the winter is just....constant. Everything is built for the heat, so if it's 15 degrees outside it's 15 in your home, office....what we need is fireplaces, but alas, no wood. But October could be the nicest month of the year.

NE UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General Questions - October in Egypt?

Hi - I usually recommend a Nile cruise for first time visitors, especially as you only have a week. You get to see the main sites in Luxor, a couple on the way to Aswan, and usually a choice of trips in Aswan. Transported very comfortably in an up-to-date cruise boat with leisure time and wonderful sights from the deck.

I feel I'm talking myself into doing it again! - over the 25 years I've been going to Egypt I've done the Nile cruise 4 times and loved it every time. Good Luck

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: General Questions - October in Egypt?

I am a Canadian (Hamilton) living in Giza. PM me if you need help. Always pay for stuff with Egyptian Pounds (LE). Don't know about Sharm, never been there. October... warm/hot in the day and slightly cool at night (light jacket or light sweater).

Edited: 23 September 2014, 15:35
8. Re: General Questions - October in Egypt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2015, 07:16