We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day at Pyramids

Invercargill
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Day at Pyramids

Hi. Looking at taking taxi to pyramids and walking around pyramids and syphinx.Is it an enjoyable day or are you constantly harrased by sellers.Any good tips for getting rid of them

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Day at Pyramids

Tips for getting rid of them? Sorry, in the dozens of times I have been to the pyramids, I really have had VERY few issues with touts. If approached, I either have a little fun/banter with them or just smile and keep walking. I do believe it is how YOU deal with them, not how THEY deal with you. For me, a simple smile and shake of the head and keep on walking is all it takes, though I know I will get plenty of comments about that!

Is it a good day out? Well, if you think seeing the only remaining/standing wonder of the ancient world might not excite you, I don't know what will. It never ceases to thrill and amaze me, and you must go there either with a guide or a vey good guide book to understand and fully appreciate such magnificent feats of ancient man.

Just thinking about being there gives me goosebumps :)

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
959 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Day at Pyramids

I agree with unone. Smile, shake your head and walk on if they are offering something you don't want. "La shukran" is 'no thanks' in Arabic. At the pyramids especially, the sellers do have a habit of coming up to you and putting things in your hands. If you don't want it, offer it back or put it on the ground. But please, spare some time to look at their wares as some things you might actually want, and I've seen people take a blanket-policy of eyes to the floor and keep walking, only to miss out on the fun of haggling and then wish they had given it a go. Is it a good day out? It's the pyramids, of course it is!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Day at Pyramids

If a smile and “no thanks” work, that’s terrific but, as I and many others can testify, there are times (thankfully fairly rare) when they don’t. There are also the camel driver/touts, would-be ‘guides’ and the odd small time scam artist to contend with. Again, the flagrantly persistent ones are a small minority but it doesn't help anyone to pretend they don’t exist.

Start with the smile and a “no thanks” and walk on. If those don’t work after a couple of tries, use more ‘direct’ language as the situation requires. Hiring a guide will minimise the hassle but not necessarily eliminate it.

If you really want to put Giza, the pyramids and Sphinx in their historical context (as opposed to getting the standard tourist shuffle), there may be guide books up to the task but I can’t think of any. I’m sure there must be guides who are but they will be rare . It’s better to first read one or two of the expert books on the subject (there are several aimed at the general reader as well as professional Egyptologists) and then hire a guide if you feel you need/want one.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 11:51
West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Day at Pyramids

I agree with the others who have answered your question. Be polite, say No Thank You and just keep moving.

Entering the site via the gate by the Sphinx might help you avoid the on slaught at the main gate and allow you to get climatised to the site.

When someone gives you something for free; it is not free. Some sort of payment is expected.

Best tout I ever experienced at Giza was a guy who showed me his photo ID, all written in Arabic and said he was a tour guide and that his services were included in the cost I paid for the admission ticket to the site.

There will be some haste but seeing the pyramids is amazing. Take the time and enjoy them.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
124 reviews
5. Re: Day at Pyramids

The "Solar Boat" of Khufu is worth seeing while you are visiting the pyramids. It is in a separate building, on the southern side of Khufu's pyramid, and you will need to obtain an admission ticket (not sure of the current price) from the kiosk.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Day at Pyramids

“...a guy who showed me his photo ID, all written in Arabic and said he was a tour guide”

I've seen this one pulled a couple of times but not with the included in the admission price bit. What was his angle—a tip, good deals on souvenirs, camel rides etc, a visit to a ‘special’ market(s) or all of the above?

Last I heard, the Solar Boat Museum (as said, it's well worth a visit) cost LE 60 instead of LE 50 but I can’t say for sure.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 16:34
West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Day at Pyramids

His angle would have been to steer me to some of his friends who sell wares at the pyramids and be the broker in arranging a camel ride. The whole aim to get a commission from those that I may have done business with.

And then at the end of the day demand a large tip.

We did not use him because I knew it was a tout, but a very clever one.

Invercargill
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
8. Re: Day at Pyramids

Great help-thanks.Will enter by the Sphinx gate and just go with the flow as they say.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Day at Pyramids

I have used the Sphinx entrance and there are almost always a few hucksters hanging around there as well but you might just get a minimum hassle visit. Watch out for people saying it’s a ‘special’ day where you have to have a guide, ride a horse/camel and so on. Good luck.

Westerly

As I suspected, it was all of the above. I once saw a guy (suited and booted with ‘ID’ at the Sphinx entrance) pretend to be an official. He was taking tickets and taking people through the security check whereupon he would attach himself to them and try to guide them around the site.

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
10. Re: Day at Pyramids

I agree with everyone, of the dozens of times I have been to the pyramids, I have never had any major problems.

I have walked there by myself from Mena House, taken a taxi there with my Sister and also used a guide.

I have had some very uneventful visits and also a couple of intense ones where I was pestered a lot.

I like to chat, so it doesn't bother me if they want to chat and I do look at their stuff, I even buy things if I like them. I have had all the lines above and yet I still go back because like Unone, I simply cannot stay away when I am so close.

I will be there on Thursday and will post on the"hassle" factor from a solo lady's viewpoint.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 00:00