We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight arr Cairo 5.50 pm,sleeping train 9.10pm : possible?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delhi
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Flight arr Cairo 5.50 pm,sleeping train 9.10pm : possible?

Hello,

My international flight arrives in Cairo Intl Airport at 5.50pm and I have to catch the overnight train to Luxor on the same day at 9.10pm.

Is this possible while allowing for time for baggage claim/immigration/ travelling from airport to train station?

As an alternative, I can catch a night flight to Luxor which reaches Luxor at 11pm. But I am wary of such late hours on my first day in a foriegn country. Is Luxor safe at late night if I travel by taxi from airport to hotel?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

gatul

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
7,631 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight arr Cairo 5.50 pm,sleeping train 9.10pm : possible?

If you are lucky, it is possible but what if the flight is delayed? We have been lucky and been processed very quickly but this year it seems like we were out of luck. We arrived at approximately the same time as you and spent over one hour in a queque which didnt seem to move and every man and his dog kept jumping ahead of us. We had to start pushing ourseves (not our style usually but had to). Our bags were not on the carousel and we had to wait till they were found. Also the traffic in Cairo is a nightmare, which could result in delays.

In my opinion, if you can afford the flight to Luxor, go for it. As far as the safety of Luxor at night, rest assured it is not a problem. I feel safer in Luxor than I do in my own home town, the crime rate is very low. You will be bombarded by taxi drivers once you come out of the airport, just agree to a price before you get into the taxi. Price will be around 30 to 40 Egyptian Pounds, the taxis are cheap and plentiful.

Have a wonderful trip!

Nefertari

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight arr Cairo 5.50 pm,sleeping train 9.10pm : possible?

If you arrive on time it won't be a problem, but if the flight is delayed for an hour or more, you would be taking a risk.

I would choose the flight to Luxor too and don't worry at all about arriving late. It is safe and 11 pm or midnight is not late in Egyptian standards anyway.

Delhi
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight arr Cairo 5.50 pm,sleeping train 9.10pm : possible?

Thank you for your advice, I think the flight options is best for me.

Thanks

gatul

4. Re: Flight arr Cairo 5.50 pm,sleeping train 9.10pm : possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 20:19