We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old bazar in Cairo.

florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Old bazar in Cairo.

My husband andi will be in Cairo for the first time in May 07 and I have read a little about an old bazar but would love to learn more about this place. How big is it and what can you buy there? Any good bargins? Where is it located?

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Texas
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Old bazar in Cairo.

What do you mean by the old bazar? maybe you mean Khan el Khalili which is an old area near down town cairo full of shops selling hand made antiques and silver, gold, and pharonic souvenirs.

Mentioned in this post
Khan El Khalili
Khan El Khalili
174 Reviews
Giza, Egypt
Sydney
Level Contributor
890 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old bazar in Cairo.

I am sure that the previous reply is correct and it is the Khan El Kahily market. It is very large and quite wonderful.

The one thing you will need to know is not to accept the first price, but to haggle. The real price will be a small portion of the original asking price - perhaps even as low as one sixth.

There were some wonderful things there when I visited last year from Sydney - it really depends what you want. But, again, be warned, you need to know your prices and be consistent.

For convenience I know that there is an ATM located within the market, but cannot remember exactly where.

Don't forget to dress appropriately - this is a Muslim country and you need to be respectful. No midriffs or revealing clothes. Having said that, long trousers with blouses or tees are ideal.

florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old bazar in Cairo.

Thanks for the info! We are really looking forward to our trip in May. The Khan el Kahily market will be a real experience! Is this market also open in the cooler hours of the evening and is it a safe area to enjoy after dark?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old bazar in Cairo.

Hi Kansas,

The Khan el Khalili is open till very late. It is absolutely safe and there are heaps of tourists there, you will be inundated with Egyptians trying to sell you things but that is part of the fun! I love the market at night, its the best time to be there. Remember to haggle over the price. Have fun in Egypt!

Nefertari

Mentioned in this post
Khan El Khalili
Khan El Khalili
174 Reviews
Giza, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Old bazar in Cairo.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294200-i9124-k920…

6. Re: Old bazar in Cairo.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 21:17