We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How crowded is Egypt in December?

Level Contributor
17 posts
How crowded is Egypt in December?

Thinking about a Mid-December Egypt tour including a Nile cruise, given the tourism slump, is December going to be crowded with tourists such that it will result in lines at the major attractions? It is possible to delay my trip until next October or November, is it better to wait?

46 replies to this topic
Port Ghalib, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: How crowded is Egypt in December?

Is this a trick question or a real question? You have answered your own question. Giving a minor miracle by 5 million tourists suddenly deciding to go to Egypt then i think your safe. What gives you the impression that tourism is suddenly going to pick up back to the good old days? I think you will be safe in December and doubt there will be many standing lines for attractions. Tourism couldn't be at a much lower point all over Egypt.

Level Contributor
17 posts
2. Re: How crowded is Egypt in December?

Thank you for your reply and understand why it may seem like a stupid question. While I have read that tourism is very slow, I have also read that peak season is in December so I'm curious as to how crowded it is expected to be. I have read very little on this issue. I have always tried to avoid traveling to destinations during "peak season" and am only considering making an exception to this practice for Egypt because I have heard it simply isn't that crowded. I'm looking for confirmation of this theory.

Edited: 30 July 2016, 01:05
Port Ghalib, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: How crowded is Egypt in December?

The general theory is that it is very much down. Luxor is more closed than open currently. Many hotels, and restaurants have sadly closed. Booking a Nile Cruise also i would be prepared to have your chosen boat changed to something else as this is happening reguarly to consolidate numbers. Cairo being the major city i guess would be a little different although recent reports suggest tourist visitors were down. Attractions tend to be more busy around Eid in my opinion. Seems to be alot more Japanese and Chinese visitors around. My earlier visit this year to Hurghada coastal resort the hotel was at 30% and that was within a UK school holiday. If it was myself booking December i wouldn't have any hesitation and couldn't see much difference between December to the months of October or November.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,160 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: How crowded is Egypt in December?

I was in Luxor last December and, while things did pick up a bit, tourism was still very much depressed and I personally couldn't see any change from the previous two months.

Years ago, before tourism went into a tailspin, I was in Luxor during a December "peak season". It was crowded with visitors and Egyptians hustling them. As said, the chances of anything remotely likely this next December look virtually nil. It will of course be busy and vibrant (it always is) but, barring a miracle, with Egyptians, not tourists.

Even if visitor numbers were to double on last December I suspect you would be hard put to find more than a few tourists in one place at the same time.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: How crowded is Egypt in December?

Tourism is very low. Am friends on facebook with waiter from hotel in Marsa Alam and even now in school holiday there are nearly no guests...

London
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
75 reviews
6. Re: How crowded is Egypt in December?

David not sure where you're from but I love Jane March as it's not too hot and never been too crowded. Queuing for buffets etc bores me.

Just go mate. You'll love it

Meant Jan to March

Edited: 30 July 2016, 06:30
France
Level Contributor
248 posts
213 reviews
7. Re: How crowded is Egypt in December?

Hello, if this is any indication there were about 3 buses on the Pyramids car park last December, about 8 visitors inside the Mykerinos pyramid; we had King Tut's "treasure room" in the Egyptian Museum all to ourselves for 30 mn. just after opening time; in January we were alone in King Tut's tomb in the Valley of the Kings, in Luxor Museum, in Deir el Bahari and in the Ramesseum. Now is the best time to visit Egypt: no crowds, plenty of time to admire and enjoy the sites.

Level Contributor
17 posts
8. Re: How crowded is Egypt in December?

YES! This is what I wanted to know, no crowds and I get to do my part to help the locals who need business. Aloha from Hawaii.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
9. Re: How crowded is Egypt in December?

David I was in Luxor last December we took a day trip from hurghada it was amazing!! No queues at all!! There were a few people in Hatshesput temple and a handful at the valley of the kings, we stayed inside kings tut tomb for more than 20 min staring at the mummy!!! Incredible experience!!

You will love it!!👍🐪🐪🌞🌞

London
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
75 reviews
10. Re: How crowded is Egypt in December?

Alicia....20 mins looking at a mummy? What we're you smoking??

Joe King x

Reply to: How crowded is Egypt in December?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted