We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on where to visit

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Advise on where to visit

I am planning taking my family to Egypt for one week during Christmas and I am a complete novice on where to start regarding best attractions. Would like to see the at least four places including the pyramids and the river Nile. Any suggestions most welcome, itineraries and a good tour operator.

Thank you

R. Hunt

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Ramasside Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Two Ways Travel
Sightseeing Tours
Egypt Holiday Planner and Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Amany Tourism
Boat Tours, Air Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
229 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on where to visit

You only need one night stop over in Cairo to visit the Pyramids and the Egyptian museum. Upper Egypt (Luxor and Aswan), Lake Nasser, Nile Cruise or the Red Sea should be your base stay.

You may also consider Siwa Oasis in the western Sahara if you are into ecological tourism.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,835 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on where to visit

You should get a reliable guidebook and read it. I like the Rough Guide. You need 2 full days in Cairo, one in the centre and one at the Pyramids and Sakkara. You can either spend the rest sof your time in Luxor which is jam packed with famous places, or take a cruise down to Aswan. You can't miss the Nile wherever you go.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on where to visit

You can see the Nile in Cairo, Luxor, Aswan etc and you mention wanting to see at least four places ?. If the Pyramids (Cairo) and Nile are two can you give any indication of where else you want to see ?.

I presume that the Valley of the Kings would be on your list so that would mean visiting Luxor where a whole week could easily be spent.

But if you are talking about different places eg cities then trying to fit Cairo, Luxor, Aswan and a Red Sea resort all into a week might be hard going.

Read a good guide book and make a list of what interests you and where it is. You might find a two centre stay in Cairo and Luxor fits the bill but a lot depends on what you really want to see.

4. Re: Advise on where to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 09:15