We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Egypt

bsp
Marin, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Family trip to Egypt

My family of 3 will be heading to Egypt for Spring Break. After reading the books & looking at several sites, I was thinking of booking a tour with Abecrombie & Kent to avoid any hassles & to make sure we get to everything in 10 days. Any comments or recommendations. My husband wants to stay at the 4 Sewasons & do a river trip. Thus, my desire for a tour. Thanks in advance for any help.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Egypt

Both ideas are not bad. Ask more specific questions sp you can get more detailed answers. Egypt is a country of a very wide choice. There isn't a best way to go about it. It all depends on what kind of traveler you are.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Egypt

if you decided to book your trip with A&K then i advise in case you want to make the cruise choose their cruise named Sun Boat III it is small, but i consider the best in the fleet of A&K

wish you a nice trip

Nigeria
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Egypt

Hi,

I booked a similar package with Egyptian tour operator during my last holiday to Egypt. It was a private tailor-made trip. We did 2days in Cairo visiting the major sites (pyramids, Museum...) then travelled to Aswan for 3 nights Nile Cruise aboard 5* deluxe ship and managed to visit all highlights there (valley of the kings, Hatchepsut temple , Karnak temple , Luxor temple , Philae temple , felucca and high dam) . The recreational part of my trip was in Sharm. We took the flight from Luxor , spent there 3 nights then back to Cairo for our home' flight. Everything went great and smooth and very well organized . Our tour guides in Cairo and aboard cruise were extremely excellent and egyptologists. We celebrated a very special occasion. It was my son's birthday. Guess .. A very nice cake was waiting for him aboard cruise. It was a big surprise for him and we really appreciated our agent's staff great efforts to manage for something like that. By the way , that was a gift from them. Despites our short stay in Sharm, it was sufficient for us . We explored the underwater by Glass boat and visited St. Catherine monastery as well. So we mixed culture with fun. I assumed it is not allowed to mention agents names or promorte them in the forum so if you are looking for good agent or need any tips, you can reach me at chandan-indian@hotmail.com

Regards

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Egypt

In ten days you can spend 2/3 days in Cairo, 3/4 in Luxor or on a cruise, and 2/3 in Aswan including Abu Simbel or on the coast. There are hundreds of tours like this. In the UK, A&K are among the more expensive.

You can save a lot of money, possibly thousands of dollars, by booking your own trip and it will be just as good. Try browsing the forum and using the search box for specific ideas. People recommend local agents who can arrange all this for you. On the other hand, many people take a guided tour for their first trip and then return again and again on their own.

You won';t be able to see everything in 10 days but you will see lots of marvellous things.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to Egypt

PS See the post from Arqueologist below on precisely this point..

bsp
Marin, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to Egypt

Thanks for all of the posts. I decided to go with Abecrombie since it offered everything we wanted at the level of comfort my husband wanted. We also do not have to pay a single supplement for our son so he gets his own room!

We have the opportunity to hire our own personal guide for the entire trip. Is is worth it? We will have a private guide until we get to Luxor. Once we board the A&K boat we will be put in a group of 12 for touring the Valley of Kings. I am concerned that after 4-5 days my husband, son & I will be sick of each other & want a little company. I am not sure how the boat trip will be, but I hear it is wonderful. Thus, is it too much to be in a group of 12 for the remainder of the tour? The private guide is not really that much & is the cost of the single supplement we did not have to pay.

Also, any recommendations on travel insurance? We decided not to go with A& K's package because it was too expensive.

Also, we will be staying at the 4 Seasons 1st Residence (deluxe rooms) in Cairo. We want the quiet. Any comments?

Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
320 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to Egypt

I was on a Nile cruise ship, but it was not an A&K so it might work differently. Our tour guide from the ship was very well trained and gave us a lot of information en route to the Valley of the Kings, and while we walked through the Valley, but he did not go into any of the tombs. This was probably because members of the group could choose which tombs to see (did not have to go to the same tombs). It might be helpful for you to have a personal guide go along into the tombs with you to point things out (and deter the local men who hang around in the tombs looking for baksheesh moments). This assumes that all in your family will visit the same tombs. If you are really sick of each other, you could go to different ones! Actually, you will have lots of opportunities to socialize with the other passengers while on the cruise, and you will probably have a fantastic time together as a family and with your fellow passengers.

8. Re: Family trip to Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 18:16