We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dressing up on a Nile boat

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dressing up on a Nile boat

Will I be able to opt out of the dressing up night as I am a grumpy old so and so.

London, England
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dressing up on a Nile boat

As fas as I'm aware dressing up is not compulsory so as a grumpy old so and so you can still enjoy the cruise. I must admit that I found the whole dressing up bit a mite strange at first but I would say that getting into the spirit is a part of the whole experience.

So why not have a go, it's great fun. You might even get to enjoy yourself.

Jersey UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dressing up on a Nile boat

Forgive me..... but do you mean dressing up in your best evening wear or dressing up for themed nights?

My husband hates fancy dress! were on the Oberoi Philae in May - can't wait.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dressing up on a Nile boat

Hi Victor Meldrew - only teasing : ),

It's not realy my hubby's "thing" but he surprised himself & by the time it was the actual night, we were all so relaxed with each other that he was ok about it.

It wasn't compulsory, but they may try & encourage you. You could offer to take photos for everyone & busy yourself that way : )

Enjoy your cruise; ytrying to persuade hubby to go again as it's few yrs since we did ours.

Regards

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dressing up on a Nile boat

Hello,

I was on a Nile Cruise last February, I guess you mean the Gulabeya Party ? about 70 percent of the guest dressed for it, so not everyone, but is is nice to enter into the spirit of it I think. Some people did not go all the way (like my daughter and I), we bought some nice khaftan type tops in Cairo to wear with normal skirts/trousers, so we looked dressed up but still felt comfortable. Some others just wore a local scarf. It is nothing to worry about.

On other evening the passengers were smart/casual, yet again a nice shawl can dress up an outfit and look more than it is !

Regards

Wendy

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dressing up on a Nile boat

Thank you for your helpful replies.Is there anywhere on the boat where I can hide.

Victor Meldrew

England
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dressing up on a Nile boat

Its all good fun but if your really against it I suggest you stay in your cabin that evening

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dressing up on a Nile boat

We are planning to participate fully in the dress up party but I do have a dumb question. What is normally worn under the gabalaya (sp?) outfit? Pants? Shorts and tee shirt?

Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dressing up on a Nile boat

Ladies normally were the Gulabeya like a dress, so no need to wear something underneath. Egyptian men wear a version of long johns undeneath it. But I guess a foriegn man may like to still wear his trousers !! not being used to the concept !

If you can buy a Gulabeya in Cairo it will be cheaper, some of the cotton ones can be for about 50 LE, price varies of course with the quality. On the boat they normally sell them but with an inflated price. Some of the guest on my cruise bought from Aswan or the other places we stopped, I helped them get the prices down, but you can do the same, do you best to get a good deal !!

Regards

Wendy

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dressing up on a Nile boat

Thanks Wendy,

As part of our cruise we are supposed to have complimentary dress attire delivered to our cabin for the party. I'll cross my fingers that they'll be ok.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dressing up on a Nile boat

Okay Wendy

What exactly is a "Gulabeya"

You said you bought some nice Kaftan type tops .. that sounds like me .. if I go looking should I just look at tops or ask for a "Gulabeya"

I want to look the part so am happy to buy something nice but being on the biggish side .. the ones on the boat may not fit .. I know get a male one but then usually the sleeves hang down and they are heaps long

Any thoughts?

Abbey