We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What boats are Thomsons using now

Liverpool
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What boats are Thomsons using now

I have booked a 5T nile cruise and stay with Thomsons for 7th Sept. 2011 and although I know I will be staying in the Nile Palace hotel after the cruise they dont know what boat I will be on untill I get there.

Is this normal and has anyone just returned and maybe know what boats Thomsons are using for there 5T cruises.

Any info would be appreciated.

Norwich
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What boats are Thomsons using now

Hi, I would think that you will be on the Jaz Regency, which is the one that Thomson advertise as the 5 star, it's definitely on the water, spent two glorious weeks on there in July.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What boats are Thomsons using now

I asked Thomsons would it be the Jaz Regency because as you say they advertise it in their brochure when booking a 7 night 5T nile cruise.

But when booking a twin centre (cruise and stay) they have said that they dont know what boat you will be on till you get there.

I find this strange and annoying because I cannot research it before going.

Norwich
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What boats are Thomsons using now

When we were there in July Travco only had 2 boats on the water, the Regency and the Minerva, I think the Crown Prince is coming back on in September but thats the 4 star +. I think it's a pretty safe bet that you will be on the Regency if you've booked the 5 star

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What boats are Thomsons using now

Many boats are laid up at the moment because of lack of tourist numbers. The companies probably can't say for sure which boat you will be on because they are constantly having to amalgamate tourist groups to make sailing viable.

It's possible also that any given company could have laid up boats full time (until sufficient tourist return) or perhaps are rotating their use to keep them ticking over! (Just a thought! )

Edited: 17 August 2011, 10:01
Liverpool
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What boats are Thomsons using now

Thank you for your replies they both make a lot of common sence.

Hopefully whatever we are on we will enjoy.

Just one more question please about dress code. I have read the links on the side about clothes but I am very undecided if my husband should bring a jacket/suit or not .

Would he only wear it for the Winter Palace or are there other occasions/places that he will need one. If it is just for once is it worth it?

Are there ironing facilities on the boats.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What boats are Thomsons using now

Hi,

There will be laundry services offered on board the boats, they are normally not too expensive and the items are often returned the same day washed and immaculately ironed.

I have a long tiered maxi skirt which I HATE ironing (it takes forever) so sometimes tend to save it till I get to the hotel / cruise boat and hand it in to be ironed there, it always comes back better ironed than I have ever managed to get it.

(Lazy of me I know!!!!)

Suzie :-)

Edited: 18 August 2011, 13:43
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What boats are Thomsons using now

Re the suit/jacket dilemma. Your husband would only need a jacket & tie for the Winter Palace's 1886 restaurant and nowhere else on the holiday, hope that helps.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What boats are Thomsons using now

Thank you Divadarling regarding jacket/suit I dont think I will bother packing one if it is just for 1 occasion, I have read on other posts that the restaurant1886 Winter Palace will lend you one for the evening?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What boats are Thomsons using now

That's what they said in their room guide when we were staying there earlier this month.

Mr DD is quite an unusual size so he usually wears a lightweight jacket to travel & packs a tie - and inevitably sulks about having to dress up so we've only eaten there twice.

The Corniche restaurant was using the other half of the room while we were there (air con problems in the main room) so we ate in there one night. The food is just as good, the service just as formal & he didn't have to dress up!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What boats are Thomsons using now

Thanks for your responce DD and but you will have to translate for me.

The other half of what room? Where is the Corniche restauant? are we still talking about the Winter Palace and the need to pack a jacket or not.

Please exuse my ignorance this is my first time to Luxor.