We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Boat 111 any recent experience out there?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Sun Boat 111 any recent experience out there?

A friend and I are booked on an Abercrombie & Kent trip with. 7 night cruise on the Sun Boat 111 in January / February 2012 and I am curious if anyone has been on the ship recently - if so any info on

- is the ship as terrific as it looks?

- where the day tours off the boat in small groups if so how big?

- we hear alot about how well A&K look after you or is this hype?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited: 30 October 2011, 05:50
Emo Tours Egypt - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Aladin Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Luxor and Aswan Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,750 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Boat 111 any recent experience out there?

All I can say is - I haven't used them - that when I have seen A&K parties when we have stayed in the WP and Mena House it is like the parting of the Red Sea as lesser mortals, i.e. me, get moved aside to let them pass.

They always have a blue blazered tour manager in attendance.

They don't tip - The envelope is discreetly handed over by the tour manager at the end of the event.

Groups have never seemed over large - maybe 16-20

When we have actually spoken to members of the party, it has always been their "once in a lifetime trip and they wanted the best". They did not feel it necessary to defend their decision to use A&K

If I won the lottery, they would be booked, even if only to get into Seti 1st's tomb!

I haven't been on the boat - as a general statement it might be better to pay the extra to get away from the lower decks - check the boat layout out.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Boat 111 any recent experience out there?

Like eLaReF I haven't used them but have friends with much deeper pockets who have and they rave about them and their attention to detail.

I have been fortunate enough to visit Setis tomb and would pay to do do again if my lottery numbers came up as it is amazing.

I am sure you will have a great time and look forward to reading a report on your experiences when you return.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Boat 111 any recent experience out there?

Thank you very much for the feedback. It is hard to find out much about A&K as people who have used them in Egypt don't seem to have posted much feedback on Tripadviser or elsewhere.

Good tip re the Sun Boat we have booked cabins on the promenade and tower decks to get the best of the view.

Still waiting for the full itinerary as we have taken the non group bespoke travel option for the first part of the trip in Cairo. We have asked them to include the Geyer Anderson museum on one of those days- have you by any chance been there? Not certain but I think our cruise includes a tour of the Nefertari tomb.

4. Re: Sun Boat 111 any recent experience out there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 04:20