We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MS Grand Rose

torquay
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
MS Grand Rose

Anyone travelled on this boat recently?

Chorley, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: MS Grand Rose

Ive just got back from a week on the Grand Rose, had an excellent time. The only fault I could find was the linen ie towels, bedding and restaurant tablecloths/napkins are all in need of replacing. The trips were brought to life by the excellent guides that could not do enough to make sure everyone had a fab time. There was a good selection of food and all the staff worked were attentive. I would do this trip again.

Leicestershire
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: MS Grand Rose

My partner and I spent a week on the MS Grand Rose in March this year. The MS Grand Rose is a 5* all inclusive boat and we definitely got what we paid for. The accommodation was beautiful, very grand and ornate. We upgraded to a top deck cabin with a panoramic window, I'm not sure if the window itself offered a better view but being higher up on the boat certainly afforded a good view across the river. However, we didn't spend a great deal of time in our cabin so probably wouldn't have suffered too much had we been a deck or two lower down. I agree with Gillian's comment about the towels, although clean and replenished at least once a day, they had seen better days and were looking a bit grey. The food was delicious and offered an excellent choice and the local red and white wine was very drinkable! All the staff were incredibly hospitable, friendly and very willing to help. All the excursions were included in our holiday package (there are additional excursions you can book and pay for i.e. the Pyramids in Cairo and Abu Simbel), and we had a fantastic tour guide. He brought ancient Egypt to life for us with a combination of factual explanation, storytelling and good humour. It is worth noting that there are 2 or 3 early morning starts to beat the intense heat of the day and I was aware of a few people who seemed a bit fed up with the intensity of the sightseeing so I would recommend that you have an interest in history to really enjoy a Nile cruise. You can of course decide not to go on any of the excursions and remain on the boat but why go to Egypt and not visit the Valley of the Kings or Karnak temple? I think what I'm trying to say is, if its a cruise you're looking for to simply enjoy the relaxation and sunshine then a Nile cruise probably isn't for you. That's not to say that we didn't get to enjoy the facilities on the boat; we spent 2 or 3 full days relaxing on the deck and enjoying the pool as well as having 'free' afternoons following the sightseeing. One other point to note - the local Egyptians are quite 'enterprising'! Many of the exits and some entrances to the tourist sites are lined with shops and the vendors are rather enthusiastic when it comes to trying to sell you things. There are also numerous salesmen awaiting the arrival of tourist coaches in other places, including the airport and you do have to be prepared to run the gauntlet through these issuing a lot of "no thank you's"! Our tour guide was very particular about pre-warning us of certain practices and where we needed to be careful of our bags in some places we went to and it is worth paying attention. I have to say I was a little uncomfortable the first time we encountered it but it got better with practice. As long as you keep your wits about you it isn't too bad; we even bartered successfully on a couple of occasions for items we wanted and enjoyed it! Not everyone was happy about it but it did provide a couple of good people watching opportunities and produced a few good stories over dinner as we all got used to the local way of life. Overall the accommodation & staff on board the boat was excellent, the scenery was breathtaking and the history is astounding. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 14:13
Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Valley of the Kings
Valley of the Kings
4,633 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MS Grand Rose

Hi, my mum and dad are going on this boat in October 2013, they are both 70 but active. They need advise on tipping as I have a feeling they are going to be 'ripped off' - can you please supply any advise to help them?

Thanks

Sandra Smith.

ESSEX
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MS Grand Rose

Who did you book with as we need to add a few extras like a couple of nights in Cairo

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Leicestershire
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MS Grand Rose

Hi Sandra. Tipping is nice and easy when on the boat as everyone pays £20 and it is distributed amongst all the staff on the boat. The tour guides are separate from this and you are given an opportunity to tip them at the end of the holiday if you wish to. Just advise them to be wary when out and about, at the airport in particular. When we arrived there were lots of people very keen to take our suitcases from us and wheel it across the road to the coach; it's fine if you want them to do that for you but you but the will expect a tip. We managed to avoid that but once at the coach we thought the driver took our cases from us to put in the hold but it wasn't and we had to tip him! Only £1 so not much but just helpful to be aware! The process is repeated on the return journey but as long as they keep hold of their cases themselves, keep walking and say no thank you they will be absolutely fine.

Leicestershire
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: MS Grand Rose

Hi

My partner booked through an independent agent at Nile Cruises For You; his contact there has been on many of the boats so was able to offer some really good first hand advise and would probably be able to help you out with suggestions in Cairo but Red Sea Holidays would be able to do it as well I would have thought.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MS Grand Rose

Thank you for your advice.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MS Grand Rose

Thank you for your comprehensive review. It was very helpful. My mum is keen to go on a cruise and I've been considering various options (Baltic, Mediterranean, NYC etc). After your excellent review we'll be sailing off down the river Nile.

Thank you so much for the time and effort taken to write. I really appreciate it.

Regards, Mandalina

ps. refer to FIC403 posting.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 12:42
essex
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MS Grand Rose

As you've just returned from the Grand Rose cruise, could you please advise if coctails are included in the "All Inclusive" price.

Many Thanks

Oswestry, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: MS Grand Rose

just returned and cocktails are included but only available in the bar not on the sun deck and are made with local spirits