We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about a Nile Cruise

Moreton
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about a Nile Cruise

Hi all,

My Mum and I are thinking of taking a nile cruise at some point, hopefully next year but there's a couple of questions we need answering first.

1. What food is there? Can anyone give a detailed idea of what food is going to be on the cruise. I can only eat certain foods so it would be nice to know before hand what food there is, if possible. I know they do buffets and set meals but what food exactly.

2. Is a cruise ideal for disabled people? My Mum is disabled but she would like to see Egypt before she gets to the point where she can't go anywhere anymore. She does have difficulty walking but only on bad days and she has a walking stick.

3. What do they charge on the use of the wireless internet? I know Red Sea Holidays don't do wireless, I don't think but some cruises do. Anyone know how much they charge? I'd like to keep a blog going while there of what's been happening, etc.

Erm...can't think of anything else. Any answers would be really great!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,387 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about a Nile Cruise

AnneMarieAs you are not thinking of going until next year it is hard to answer your questions. What is happening this year could be quite different in a years time.

I can say that if you mother finds it hard to walk you will find it difficult to see the temples on the bank. It involves getting in and out of a minibus and walking through crowds of moving people. There are no seats at the temples and not a great deal of shade. So it really depends on how disabled she is.

Also remember it is a boat and there are stairs either up or down to the cabins, dining area, bar and sundeck. You would maybe need to find one with cabins on one level with the reception and dining at least.

You maybe able to sort out alternatives for the sites like taking a taxi. Valley of the kings and Hateshupsuts temple involve a lot of walking, again nowhere to sit really.

As to food, each boat will be differrent. This would have to be discussed with by your travel agent. If you have the names of some boats you are interested in perhaps a post on here would get you some answers. There are hundreds.

So really you need to give details and ask one questions at a time. I would think your mothers disability is the first thing you need to cover. Details of how much she can do. People can then come up with suggestions and ideas to deal with it or see if it is reasonable at all.

England
Level Contributor
730 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about a Nile Cruise

Sue I took my Nan for ten years on the trot, she had mobility issues, she was 94 on her last visit, if you want details of how we managed feel free to pm me.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about a Nile Cruise

Hard to give a detailed answer about food. As you say its usually a buffet with a variety of meat dishes, occasionally fish and a range of vegetables. On my last cruise I had everything from fried chicken to Egyptian fish and chips with plenty of fresh fruit and cake like desserts. Breakfast was a range of cereals plus fruit and Egyptian bacon and eggs.

Without knowing dietary requirements I can't say how you will get on but nobody went hungry as there was always plenty of choice.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about a Nile Cruise

If you look at the Luxor forum page there is a list of "Top Questions" on the right hand side which include details of cruises and information for those with mobility challenges.

The various cruises I have been on offered a range of foods at the buffet breakfasts and lunches. The evening meal was a served 3 course dinner, with coffee/tea afterwards but there was an element of choice as I remember.

Re your mother's mobility, this thread may be of interest :

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k2…

The link takes you to a page with the Top Question in place.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 08:50
Lausanne...
Level Contributor
36 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about a Nile Cruise

Hi Anne-Marie. I kept a journal on our Nile Cruise in July 2011. Here is the first dinner Menu:

Pumpkin soup and selection of breads

Filo pastry triangle filled with delicious cream cheese

Salad – tomatoes, cabbage, carrots, olives – everyone on our table refused to eat it except us, believing it may have been washed in local water. We later found out they wash everything in mineral water so we lived to tell the tale!

Dish of hummus

Steak, rice, green beans

Pancakes covered in chocolate sauce and Chantilly cream with a glacé cherry

The rest of the meals were varied. Breakfast was bread rolls, spiced potatoes, eggs, omelettes, cakes, pastries, fruit. Some meals were buffet style, others were silver service. All meals had a good variety of food.

Walking around the monuments was fairly hard work as we were there when it was very hot. The floors are quite uneven in some places. If your mum takes a stick and one of those little fold up chairs you can carry so she can sit and listen to the guide's explanations, she will probably manage OK. There was one time when we had to climb from a felucca on to our ship, but there were many helping hands :) Check out anileadventure.eu for details about all the rest of it.

I'm sorry, I don't know about wifi. We certainly didn't have any, but it was the most fantastic trip we made and we can't wait to go back and do it again!

Have a fantastic time.

Moreton
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about a Nile Cruise

Thanks for all your replies!

There is one other question I forgot to ask - what about photography? I heard you have to pay to take photos of the temples and monuments and in some places you aren't allowed to take any, especially in the tombs

Lausanne...
Level Contributor
36 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about a Nile Cruise

HI. We were able to take photos of monuments anywhere except in the Valley of the Kings and Queens and Abu Simbel (not sure about Queen Hot Chicken Soup's temple as we didn't go there), where you are not allowed to take cameras in. We were told they would be confiscated if found. We bought some postcards which our guide arranged for us, which were really nice, and a guide book from the 'street vendors' which had loads of nice pictures in. We did find that the ladies there did not like to have their photos taken, so be a bit sensitive as to who is in the shot when you snap.

Milton Keynes...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about a Nile Cruise

Hi Anne-Marie, Just a thought as i am not sure your mum will cope with the stresses of stairs, climbing/stepping through the differant cruisers as they do moor up side by side up 5 or 6 six abreast, look at possibly Kings Island Luxor, you can still book a short cruise and sightseeing on sight. check out the web sight, Kings Island Luxor, if your mum needs a day or two to relax at any time the sight is ideal. just an alternative.

9. Re: Questions about a Nile Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 06:18