We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oberoi Philae Sonesta Moon Goddess Group Sizes?

Devon England
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oberoi Philae Sonesta Moon Goddess Group Sizes?

Hi,

My husband and I are going to Egypt in Feb 07 (his 1st time my second) and are trying to decide between Oberoi Philae and Moon Goddess ex Aswan. Both have aprox. 50 cabins- and we are trying to find out how many guides/Egyptologists are on board, and therefore what size groups visiting sites are - 100, to 120 people is kind of a lot if you actually want to hear anything...

Can any one who's been on either of these boats advise?

Also, any comments of preference between the two ( they sound quite similar) would be appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Lucy

wilmslow, england
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oberoi Philae Sonesta Moon Goddess Group Sizes?

Just back from a 4 day cruise on the Moon Goddess from Luxor to Aswan. I would suggest the Oberoi Philae. I was told the Moon Goddess was one of the top 3 boats on the Nile. The facilities are OK but the bathrooms need refurbishing and the carpets in the bedrooms need a good clean. These boats are on the go all the time and it must be a challenge to keep them up to the mark.

The crew were great, but the food, contrary to what you might read elsewhere was disappointing.

They also completely changed the itinerary from the one on their website and the information from our travel agent. We did all the Luxor/ Karnak/ Valley of the Kings/Queens in one day and cruised through the night twice, so we ended up parked at Aswan for over 1 and a half days out of the four.

The sights were fantastic, the guests and crew were great, but the overall experience was not 5* in my book.

Having seen some of the other boats (but not the Philae) it may be that 5* is a relative measure as many looked worse.

Pack the Immodium too. I would say over 50% of the guests were using it for part or all of the cruise, despite using bottled water and regular hand washing etc.

wilmslow, england
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oberoi Philae Sonesta Moon Goddess Group Sizes?

As to group sizes and egyptologists, they do not stay on board. We had one based at Luxor and one based at the Aswan end. They split the guests up into groups of between 12 and 20 I would estimate. Not all guests choose to go on every trip. This may be due to health issues and how tired they are when you do so many sights in one day in temperatures in the mid 30c's.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oberoi Philae Sonesta Moon Goddess Group Sizes?

Roger,

Your posting regarding the Nile Sonest Moon Goddess' change of intinary is alarming. My wife and are are taking the Star Goddess in December. We've never taken a cruise before, and this is costing us a small fortune. It's only 3 days and 4 nights, and I would hate to experience what happened to you. Is there any recourse if they change the advertised itinary?

~Lucky

Heart of England
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Oberoi Philae Sonesta Moon Goddess Group Sizes?

Posted on: 2nd November 2008, 12.15

Went on a 4 day cruise at end of September.

Obviously the Moon Goddess often does drastic changes to the itinerary. They also completely changed the itinerary when we went from the information given by our travel agent. We did all the Luxor/ Karnak/ Valley of the Kings/Queens on the day . We arrived on the boat at 9am, after a very early flight from Cairo, and were told our first trip was at 10am. We didn't have time to unpack and, apart from a short return for lunch, were out all day and not back till after dark. We were exhausted and didn't get the benefit of these great sites properly. We also cruised through the night twice, so we ended up parked at Aswan for over 1 and a half days out of the four sandwiches between other vessels with no view - not what I paid for.

The crew were great, but the food, contrary to what you might read elsewhere was disappointing.

The overall experience was not 5* in my book. The changes to the itinerary mean I would never use any boat in the Sonestra fleet again.

5. Re: Oberoi Philae Sonesta Moon Goddess Group Sizes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 12:27