We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ms viking nile cruise boat

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
ms viking nile cruise boat

does anyone have reviews on this boat thinking of going in july for i1 week

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ms viking nile cruise boat

Sorry, but do you mean the Royal Viking, or perhaps the Viking Princess? I don't recall a simple "Viking".

Regards,

Edward.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ms viking nile cruise boat

yes sorry its' the Viking Princess also booking from Ireland on the web through discover egypt .com do you know if they are any good?

thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ms viking nile cruise boat

I was also wondering does anybody know about the cruise boat Stephine?

I heard the food is not so good!!

meae

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ms viking nile cruise boat

Click on the following link to see a recent post about Discover Egypt:-

tripadvisor.com/…26051798

Here's another one about the boat:-

tripadvisor.com/…23598399

The food on most of the Nile cruisers on which I have sailed has been quite adequate, but not really exciting.

Hope these are helpful.

Edward..

p.s. If the links don't work copy and paste them into your search.

Edited: 28 May 2010, 05:03
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ms viking nile cruise boat

Thank you for all your help. After looking at both boats I'm edging towards the Stephine as the cabin windows are much bigger silly point I know but I'd like a bit of a view, the Viking windows look very small...hmm

Meae

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ms viking nile cruise boat

The windows are always an important factor for us, as well. We are not "lying in the sun" people, and tend to spend the afternoons in our cabin. In between pots of tea from our concealed travel kettle, one may snooze while the other reads, but we don't like to miss all the "biblical" scenes as we glide along. Many of the older (or even the fabulously expensive re-modelled) cruisers have windows which are too high from the floor to be able to do this. For us, it ruined the cruising experience on the last boat we booked from England. We now always book while in Luxor (it's easy, seeing as we now live here, lol) so that we can inspect the boat and check window heights in particular.

I would love to regain the first time thrill of watching the Nile banks drift by, but even though I cannot, it is still a lovely way to experience a little bit of Upper Egypt.

Have a great time.

Edward.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ms viking nile cruise boat

Just a thought, but it might be worth contacting Viking directly, as the differences in price between those quoted by Discover Egypt and Viking themselves can be quite large (even allowing for the fact that you have to arrrange your own flights with the latter option).

I managed to get a 2 week cuise and stay (Cairo - Aswan - cruise to Luxor on Royal Viking - OWP Luxor - Cairo), with single supplements, for roughly half the cost of a 7 night cruise (approximately £1000 with scheduled flights about £300 on top) last year.

I know the idea of booking direct with an Egyptian company saving you money, or allowing for an upgrade in the cruise boat/cabin, at about the same price, can apply to other operators not just Viking, so it could even be an option with the MS Stephanie. if you can find out who actuallly operates it in Egypt.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ms viking nile cruise boat

Thanks both of you for the info , can either of you recommed a boat with big windows and good food? and where do I start looking at booking direct?

Meae

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ms viking nile cruise boat

I can only supply the link for Viking:

http://www.viking-egypt.com/

Personal experience is that Ryoal Viking has the full height french windows; with obligatory 4 inch wide balcony, but if you use the contact us link they will sort you out with a personlised quote for cruising on this boat. Normally, you'll gett this quite quickly.

One thing to look for, if dealing with Egypt based companies is thee AETB accreditation, as they are supposed to answer to the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and have similar cover to ABTA. Bear in mind that the system does appar to be less reliable in recent years, as it was administered by Tour Egypt, when the latter was the official Egypt tourism site - it isn't now - but they should be bonded and the forum of the latter site does provide detailed reviews of many tour companies: http://www.touregyptforums.com/

Glen

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ms viking nile cruise boat

Thank you so much for your help I will give it a go now I'll let you know how I get on

Meae