We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

comments on Mirage cruises please

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
comments on Mirage cruises please

I have seen some very reasonably priced cruises on Mirage with Viator.com. Has anyone been on these cruises and comment please. We are adventurous 60/70 trying to plan this from Australia.

We like our comfort but can not afford the prices of the Sonesta at 2192US for 4 nights. From what I can see there seem to be cruises at this rate and then others at about $1000AU and nothing in between.

Any other very comfortable cruises with good food recommendations very welcome.

We are very flexible which direction we take but would prefer a 5night cruise if possible and not a 3 night cruise.

I dont want to book an actual tour, as we will probably stay in Cairo for a few days, maybe Aswan for 1 0r 2 and Luxor for a few days to explore. We enjoy slow travel and exploring on our own, so dont want to be organised from morning to night as we would be if we booked an 8/10 day tour.

The travel agents in Australia can only book 8/10day tour including air fares, and were actually dumbfounded when I asked about just booking the cruise package. We will be on a extended trip from Turkey, Crete, Cyprus etc.

Thank you

Janderra

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: comments on Mirage cruises please

If the price is good the reports on this ship sound promising and it`s quite new.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294204-i9480-k194…

Good luck.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: comments on Mirage cruises please

Hi Hugo 64,

The price isnt bad they are advertising a price for October or $1102.56 with a private guide for 5 days with viator.com the trouble is they only show photos of the outside of the ship and nothing re the cabins etc which make me a bit suspicious.

I did read the reviews that you sent.

I have emailed a couple of local companies to try and get some prices about 4 days ago but nothing back at all.

I did look at your friends tour company but they seem to have ony about 8 day full tours for a cost of I think about $2000 AU per person, if I remember rightly, which is way out of our price range.

Thanks again

I will

I looked at the tours by Brendan that you gave me but again they quote ships that i havent heard of and there are photos of the ships but nothing on the insides or cabins, so a bit suspect I think.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: comments on Mirage cruises please

Oops sorry

I didnt sign the last reply

Janderra

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: comments on Mirage cruises please

Sometimes it takes a few days to hear back from Egypt. This is a link to the Mirage. The cabins look good and was surprised it has only 62 cabins.

http://www.miragecruise.com/

Re cruise length I think from Luxor to Aswan is the longer leg but really you don`t spend much time sailing and all the ships do the same apart from extra to Dendera. When the ships dock at Luxor and Aswan they finish up 3 abreast and you may have to walk through 2 ships to get to yours.

The only other cruise is on Lake Nasser to Abu Simbel.

I would have expected Lady Egypt could just have organised the cruise for you plus perhaps local travel or you would have got other offers as PMs

This was the same question on Fodors and the Mirage gets a mention.

fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/…

My final suggestion is PM someone who has used this ship.

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
35 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: comments on Mirage cruises please

Hi Janderra

We took our family to Egypt in March and had a wonderful time. It was easy to take the overnight train to Aswan but we didn't like Aswan as much as Luxor.

If you have your heart set on doing Abu Simbel and the Aswan Dam you will not want to miss Aswan.

If you are keen for the Valley of Kings etc and taking in the sights of Luxor and surrounds it is really nice staying on the West Bank of the River and easy to get across.

We hired a felucca it was cheaper for us to book this in Aswan as opposed to Cairo. As we sailed down the Nile we did notice a Paddle Steamer called the Sudan which looked really rather nice and a great way to see the Nile. Not sure what the prices would be for that though.

Cairo was a lovely surprise and we all enjoyed the Pyramids, Sphinx and Museum lots to see there and it is easy to get around.

Enjoy and good luck.

Kiwisolargal

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: comments on Mirage cruises please

And more!

Looks pretty opulent which is good! The price may be even better by emailing the actual agents.

http://www.southsinai.com/

Looks like they also deal with the Red Sea Resorts.(Sharm El Sheikh)

The link worked differently when I posted it. You`ll have to click through the links to the ship.

Edited: 08 July 2010, 00:28
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: comments on Mirage cruises please

I've been on that ship once and I think it's an excellent choice. The ship is rated Deluxe and the price is affordable for the good service they offer. Cabins are clean, food is great and more importantly the staff is friendly.

CHEERS

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: comments on Mirage cruises please

Hi

Thank you Kuvisolargal for the insight into your trip. We hope to stay a few days in Luxor and also in Cairo and maybe 1 or 2 in Aswan depending on the cruise to just relax either before or after it, and before we fly again. We would book our own accomadation rather than do it as part of a tour, then we could do things at our own pace, and just book any tours we want to do, such as in Cairo to the Pyramids etc when we are there.

Thank you Hugo 64 for the link, I am not sure where you find some of these, I spent hours opening links that mention the Mirage and didnt stumble on this one. Yes the photos do look excellant.

Than you Mofissio for telling me that you have travelled on this ship and it is an excellant choice. Sometimes you wonder if the price is too cheap if it is not the right ship for you.

It is about $1102.56 AU per person for 5 days with a private guide, or 4 days without a private guide, but only actually 2 days cruising for $850.68. I thought that the private guide may suit us, as there may be some temples that dont suit Ray with his bad hip if the stairs are too steep.

Some have been mentioned very steep, no handrails etc. Maybe with a private guide we could give those a miss and spend more time at the ones that do interest us.

I need to check out more about the private guide, and if that is per couple or for the whole ship.

Thanks again

Janderra

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: comments on Mirage cruises please

Hi

Thank you for the mention of the Sudan. I have been looking at this ship on the website and it looks absolute luxury and I think the most wonderful way to see the Nile.

here is the website if you are intrested.

www.steam-ship-sudan.com.eng

The prices arent really too bad for the type of cabins that you get and certainly less than the Sonesta.

I always imagined myself doing it in a similar way to show in Murder on the Nile. Maybe I have found it.

Janderra

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: comments on Mirage cruises please

Well I usually don't use a guide when I'm alone. I know Egypt fairly well. However in your case and since you are asking for a guide, then I advise you to have a private guide whilst on the ship. Otherwise you might end up in a bus with 50 other pasengers and that's not always pleasant...

CHEERS