We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Cataract Hotel

San Francisco
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Old Cataract Hotel

Does any one know how the Old Cataract Hotel refurbishment is going in Aswan? Does it look as though it will be ready to re-open in January? I'd love to stay there on my next trip, but I don't want to get my hopes up!

UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Cataract Hotel

I hope to be in Aswan in August so I'll have a look on the way to the Nubia Museum.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
247 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Cataract Hotel

Was still being renovated as of May 1st. I could see from the Nile the rooms were open and gutted.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Cataract Hotel

I heard that it will open again in 2012.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Cataract Hotel

Wow! 2012? The website claims that it will be open for business in about 6 months.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Cataract Hotel

I asked a friend in a tour company and he said that it will start working in December.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Cataract Hotel

I was at the opening ceremony of the Central Park Bar at the Winter Palace tonight, and was talking to Mr. Ayman Sallam (Regional director of Sales and Marketing, Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan). I asked him specifically about progress at the Old Cataract.

The information, from the horse's mouth, is that they will have a "soft" opening in January or February, with the whole place being up and running by May next year.

It will then be known as "The Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan" and will consist of 100 suites and 38 (?) rooms. The lower floors of the "New" Cataract tower block are to be converted into a luxurious spa, and the swimming pool is also to be re-modelled.

This will be the third "Legend" branded Sofitel hotel in the world, and the re-modelled Winter Palace will eventually be the fourth! Work is scheduled to start on the Winter Palace after the Cataract is open.

I hope this is helpful.

Edward.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Cataract Hotel

Yes indeed the Old Cataract will be one of the most exclusive hotels in the Middle East region. As Edward said the hotel would consist mainly of suites and a State-of-the-Art SPA section.

As for the opening I don't believe that the hotel would open at the end of this year. Knowing the contractors in Egypt I would say that it will take another 2 years before they can start operating. I might be wrong this time though!!!!

CHEERS

Edited: 21 July 2010, 08:14
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Cataract Hotel

We walked past the Cataract & the New Cataract earlier this month, there is no way that either will be open at the end of the year, in fact I doubt the May date too. The place is just a building site. Interestingly, the Kalabsha hotel next door is also undergoing complete renovation.

I've posted photos for TA approval today, but as the 'pending' photos have now disappeared from my profile, I'm not sure where they have gone! When they turn up, I'll post links.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Cataract Hotel

Here is a link to the Old Cataract photo:

tripadvisor.com/…27084255

For some reason the New Cataract photos I submitted have disappeared!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Cataract Hotel

Link to the New Cataract photos on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53102214@N04/4904612041/

If that doesn't work search Flickr for 'DivaDarling2010'