We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aswan to the Temple of Philae and Abu Simbel

Which Aswan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
123 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Aswan to the Temple of Philae and Abu Simbel

Is that LE32 ( minimum as warned) per boat just one way to the Temple of Philae or that's round trip? Will this site take a whole day ? Is the High Dam and Unfinished Obelisk worth visiting too? aside from these, are there any other good site to see in Aswan.

Inside Abu Simbel, are you allowed to take pictures?

Thank you very much.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aswan to the Temple of Philae and Abu Simbel

It's a long long time since I visited Philae Temple, so I'll leave that to others to answer.

The High Dam will be very interesting to those who have an interest in dams or or large structures, otherwise, forget it! The obelisk is ok, it gives you a different perspective on these things, and this would have been the biggest ever.

As for other visits to make, I can recommend the Nubian Museum, and the not often mentioned Monastery of St Simeon on the West Bank, it's fascinating.

Have fun,

Edward.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aswan to the Temple of Philae and Abu Simbel

Hello.

The high dam seems just to be a 10-15 minute photo stop, like Edward says unless you have a specific interest you may find it quite boring. There are a few boards up with information on how the dam was constructed and some lovely photo opportunities out to Lake Nasser and to Kalabsha Temple - if you click on the following link you can see a few of the photo's I took from the dam travel.webshots.com/album/576635587oWjfBR

I've only visited the unfinished obelisk the once, now that I've seen it I don't think I would go back. Not that it wasn't interesting to see it and imagine the work put into carving it and then hoisting it onto a boat where it would sail up the Nile to Luxor and be erected in a temple there. Here's a few photos I took travel.webshots.com/album/576640262VXfASl

No photo's allowed in either of the temple's at Abu Simbel but you can take plenty outside. There may be the odd person who attempts to take a photo, if one of the guardians catches them they risk a fine or their photo card being re-formatted (all their photo's lost) There will also be someone selling postcards with pictures of the inside and outside of the temple and the UNESCO project to reconstruct the temple on higher land so it wouldn't be submerged by the creation of Lake Nasser.

Sorry, can't comment on Philae as I've normally visited as part of a guided tour from a cruise boat and the motorboat fee has been included.

Hope this helps a little,

Suzie

Edited: 22 July 2010, 09:41
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,089 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aswan to the Temple of Philae and Abu Simbel

I think 2 hours at the temple of Philae would be enough for most people. It's a short drive from the centre of Aswan.

Kalabsha is another island with rescued temples just a bit further out, just as interesting and far more atmospheric IMO.

I would not bother with the High Dam. The obelisk is worth 15 minutes if you are passing.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aswan to the Temple of Philae and Abu Simbel

I, too, would recommend the Nubian Museum.

I also liked the tombs of the Nobles on the west bank - accessible via the native ferry, ticket office at the foot of the steps.

And, of course, there are the remains and small museum on Elephantine island - accessible by native ferry (not the one used to cross to the tombs, the one dead opposite the Elephantine ruins).

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aswan to the Temple of Philae and Abu Simbel

The LE32 should be for the return trip for the whole boat.

Sadly, you'll probably end up paying double - if not triple- the price. Unless you are desperately keen the island usually takes no more than two hours to enjoy, including a stop at the cafe which has reasonably clean toilets (for Egypt).

Usually the taxi driver will offer to take you across the High Dam as part of the journey. There's a Soviet-Egyptian monument at one end with water features (usually empty) and part way across there's a LE10 per person charge for a photo stop with a ticket to prove it! The Old Dam is more interesting imo.

I quite like the unfinished obelisk site, it's been well landscaped & is visitor friendly but I don't think it is very exciting. I first viewed the obelisk in 1992 when it was in a quarry: you could walk up it in those bad old days (blush!)

Kalabsha is well worth a visit, but the water was high we couldn't cross on he causeway, so we had to haggle with the boatmen. We had the place virtually to ourselves.

I always make time for the Botanic Island, the plants are fascinating & it's so cool & shady. A boat cruise around the islands is very relaxing & you can see some great birds.

6. Re: Aswan to the Temple of Philae and Abu Simbel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 07:17