We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abu Simbel by Public Bus

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Abu Simbel by Public Bus

Hello,

I will be visiting Egypt in November. I am hoping to visit Abu Simbel via the public bus from Aswan and I need some advice on it. I read somewhere that it is extremely crowded and uncomfortable, and elsewhere that it was only half-full. I am sure these could both be true depending on the time. Has anyone here made this journey via the public bus? Do you have advice on the best time to go to avoid crowds?

Also, does any one know how to book Eskelah in Abu Simbel?

Thanks!

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abu Simbel by Public Bus

First of all there is no Public bus, only private. I think the one you are refering to is the one I went on costing me 100LE, This only goes once a day on the first trip. Think it is around 3 - 4am When I went on it, it was 80% full. I had a good seat at the front but there are fold down small seats in the isle which could be uncomfortable for such a long journey.

Phil

Aswan
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Abu Simbel by Public Bus

you can join a group of tourists, there is a company called Romany collects all individuals in one good A/C bus and pick up you from your hotel, the price is 100 LE go and return

Regards

Edited: 11 August 2010, 11:44
Berlin
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Abu Simbel by Public Bus

To reserve at Escaleh Lodge it is best to call them:

The Phone Number for Escaleh: +2 -012- 368 05 21

Have a good time, Petra

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abu Simbel by Public Bus

Thanks Jeanja!

Phil, I don't know, as I said I've read two accounts on Tripadvisor from people who have taken the public bus from Aswan to Abu Simbel and the Lonely Planet guide also mentions it. Still interested to hear from anyone with helpful information about it.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,243 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abu Simbel by Public Bus

I'm pretty sure I have never seen a mention of a public bus to AS in all the time I have known this forum. On the one hand there is nothing actually there except the temples, a few tourist stalls and a couple of hotels, on the other presumably even the hotel staff and temple attendants have to get to and from there sometimes - I wonder how they do.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Abu Simbel by Public Bus

Well, there is this one --

"The next day we went to Abu Simbel with the public bus"

tripadvisor.com/…17310714

Turns out the other 2 I had read were on the Lonely Planet forums. One person said the bus was packed and the other said that it was only half-full, but they were both definitely speaking about the local, public bus from Aswan to Abu Simbel. I just wanted to see if anyone could give any more advice but it doesn't sound like any of the active users here have heard of it.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
179 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Abu Simbel by Public Bus

I need the answer to this also. I read in (I think) The Rough Guide to Egypt there were 2 public buses each day. I was hoping to catch the afternoon one and return on the following morning. I am happy to pay for a private bus but I really do want to go in the afternoon, and I cannot return the same day. Public bus would be ideal. Not sure if I could do this by provate bus. I will be there before you jessaquarius, so you will eventually have the answer to your question. I return Nov 2nd.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,289 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Abu Simbel by Public Bus

Quoting from the latest Lonely Planet, page 325, on using local buses to & from Abu Simbel:-

"Note that the official limit is four foreign passengers per bus, although they will generally turn a blind eye to one or two extra"

Edited: 22 August 2010, 00:26
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Abu Simbel by Public Bus

Thanks Dave, let me know how it goes!

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
179 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Abu Simbel by Public Bus

I posted this in the Abu Simbel forum, but maybe it is also appropriate to post it here. Hope no one minds the duplication.

I recently caught the 8am public bus from Aswan to Abu Simbel along with 6 other westerners, all French. We bought our tickets for LE25, 30 minutes before the bus left. It was just about full. There was a rest stop halfway where you can buy a drink and use the toilet etc. We arrived in Abu about 1200. There is also an evening bus from Aswan. I think it leaves at 6pm.

The bus is hardly new but it seemed reliable and the air-con worked quite well. It was not all that clean inside. Sticky plastic on the seat arms etc and grimy curtains. You do get assigned a seat number so best to ask an Egyptian, or the driver, before you plonk down in a seat, which is what many Egyptians do, so they get moved.

Returning, I was back in "town" by 1215 to buy a return ticket for 1pm departure. The others who were on the bus with me arrived later and only 4 were allowed a ticket. The police officer told us there was a mini van leaving Abu every hour, so the 2 people who could not get a ticket went back on that. I think the cost was LE35, so not expensive. The police officer there is extremely helpful and did not ask for Baksheesh. The bus was full again.

I suspect only a certain number of tickets are sold to foreigners so if you want to use the bus be early to buy your ticket.