We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kitchener Island and Elephantine Island

Which Aswan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Kitchener Island and Elephantine Island

Hello,

some questions, would appeciate responses, thanks!:

1) you can get onto each of these islands by local ferry, right?

2) do you need to pay admission fee just to get onto each of these islands? (i dont mean the admission fee for botanical garden, Aswan museum)

2) how big are each island respectively? is it walkable from end-to-end?

3) If I want to see things like Nilometer, Nubian villages of Siou and Koti,Temples of Khnum and excavations etc. on Elephantine Island, how much time should I allocate myself? Is it reasonable walking distance between the sites I mentioned?

thanks!!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kitchener Island and Elephantine Island

1. The local ferries are for the locals. Sometimes the ferry captain doesn't allow tourists to take the boat. It happened to me once.

2. You need to pay to enter the Botanical Garden which is also known as Lord Kitchener's Island. As for the Elephantine Island, entrance to the island is free. You pay only if you want to visit the museum or the archeological site.

3. The Botanical Garden is small. You can walk around it in less than 15 minutes. The Elephantine Island, on the other hand is big. The northern part is inaccessible due to the premises of the Mövenpick hotel.

4. One hour would be enough. Yes those sites are close to each other.

CHEERS

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kitchener Island and Elephantine Island

so if local ferry doesnt work, is there some "foreigner's" ferry i can take??

i have read around that it's 2 egyptian pound, but not sure if i m confusing myself with other ferries.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kitchener Island and Elephantine Island

There are motorboats and feluccas that are used by tourists.The price is of course more expensive than the local ferry. I would say 50 LE per hour or may be less, depending on the season.

CHEERS

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,011 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kitchener Island and Elephantine Island

I'm pretty sure I have taken the local ferry to both these places in the past. I'd definitely try that first. You will have to pay more than a local - maybe as much as 1 whole LE. If they turn you away you will have to bargain with a boatman.

The excavations on Elephantine are very, very complex. There is a guidebook for sale there. The old museum is still quite fun.

The botanical gardens are barely worthwhile IMO.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kitchener Island and Elephantine Island

You can cross to the north end of Elephantine for nothing using the Movenpick hotel free ferry.

If you walk through the hotel grounds to the other side of the island you should be able to pick up a motor boat ride to the Botanic Island for less than the cost from the mainland, but usually they want you to take a tour round the islands as well & charge around LE50 an hour - the Botanic island is worth a visit just for being cool and shady!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kitchener Island and Elephantine Island

thanks guys. for the tips, very much appreciated.

i just found out that my cruise package will include felucca ride to these two islands, so i guess I need not do it separately by myself on a local ferry

however, am still thinking of going to Aswan West Bank by myself on the ferry - that's also 2 egyptian pound for a foreigner normally, right?

7. Re: Kitchener Island and Elephantine Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 05:30