We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled Access

Burton on Trent - UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled Access

Can anyone give a view on access to historical sites along the Nile for a wheelchair user and on the cruise boats?

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled Access

Hi, I suggest you also post this on the Luxor forum. I know that one of the DE's has mobility problems, although not a chair user, and also one of the DE's assists his wife who is a wheelchair user. I am sure they would be able to help and advise.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled Access

My wife uses a wheel chair, but can walk a little with aid. We now go to Luxor regularly but my wife now never visits any of the sites. We went on a cruise before she had problems walking and I would think that it would be almost impossible to do a cruise and see the sites if you are wheel chair bound. The boats are not geared up for it, unless you can find one that does. If you could get a chair that could deal with rough terain that would be better, but I would not chance taking my wife in her chair and get it damaged and then have problems. We did meet up with a couple and they used a company that aquired a chair and pushed/carried her round some of the sites and she enjoyed it.

But before booking a cruise make sure that the boat is suitable as sometimes getting on and off can be a problem. The boats are mored next to each other so you have to go through other boats to get to yours. The cabin is small, difficult to get a chair in, the corridors are narrow and usually no lift to the top floor, if at all.

As I said we go may be 2 or 3 times a year and we know which hotels and restaurants are suitable. When I push my wife around we have to use the roads as the pavement is impossible, but that is not a problem as most Egyptians walk on the road.

Phil

Edited: 30 September 2010, 13:06
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled Access

Hi Mikob, I have rheumatoid arthritis which limits my mobility, but don't use a wheelchair. I have not cruised for 6 years so can't give you up-to-date advice on the boats.

If you go to the Luxor forum, among the FAQs on the right hand sidebar you'll see "Travelling to Luxor with Mobility Problems". Click on that & you'll find several threads about access to the various sites, as well as various individual experiences.

HTH

4. Re: Disabled Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2011, 06:39
Get answers to your questions about Aswan