We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cultural Centre

Which Aswan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Cultural Centre

I understand that traditional music and dance is performed at the Cultural Centre each night. I would be interested in the following information please if anyone can help:

Where exactly is the Cultural Centre?

What time is the performance?

How much does it cost?

Any other relevent information greatly appreciated.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cultural Centre

This is the first time I have heard of the Cultural Centre. I have stayed several tiimes in Aswan independently and on the kind of tours where I would have thought they would mention a Cultural Centre. I know it is on the internet, but false information can spread like wildfire on the internet. I'm quite dubious that the place exists or that it does regular performances. If I am wrong, I would be delighted to find out as I'm going there in December.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,659 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cultural Centre

I could be wrong here, but I recollect a building on the Corniche (landward of the road), set back a little in its own "garden", which may be the one. It was a notice in the garden that really caught my eye - it said that entry was free on one's birthday.

I would ask at the Tourist Office in Aswan.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cultural Centre

I couldn't remember where I'd read about them, (even though it was only in the last couple of days!). Now, after a chaotic search, I've found the link:

http://www.touregypt.net/aswan/

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,659 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cultural Centre

I followed that link, boringFS, and wonder if it refers to activities in the Nubia Museum, which has a small outdoor theatre?

Meanwhile, I have found my old photograph of Aswan Palace of Culture with posters advertising "The Heist" and the "free on your birthday" notice outside. I still cannot pinpoint the location but it was at the northern end of the town.

My impression was that the Palace of Culture was not one of the top tourist attractions so it could well be that the dancers and musicians were directed to the Nubia Museum as being a more suitable venue.

Do let us know if you manage to locate it!

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cultural Centre

Thanks pausilypon,

'Palace of Culture' sounds very grand!

I don't think it does mean the Nubia Museum, but equally I don't know how up to date the information is. Certainly if I do track either the Cultural Centre or the Traditional Music and Dance I'll post about it.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cultural Centre

I don't think it's at the Nubia Museum.

There is a dusty building on the mid Corniche almost opposite the Isis Corniche that is always closed when we visit in August. Lonely Planet lists it as the Palace of Culture but has sparse details.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,659 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cultural Centre

That sounds like the one I photographed, Divadarling!

The "Palace" looked quite spruce then - a November - with bright, unweathered posters and broad flight of 3 steps leading up to the door.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cultural Centre

In my mind there was no garden, just steps up from the pavement - but I wasn't really looking as it was clearly closed.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cultural Centre

Well I suppose the 'Palace of Culture' is at least one place I could start to enquire about or look at to see if it's the right venue, if I get to Aswan.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,659 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cultural Centre

"In my mind there was no garden, just steps up from the pavement"

My photograph shows an open metal gate, board with posters to the left, overhung with tree branches, "birthday" notice further back, also to left, then the steps into the "Palace" i.e. steps are some paces back from the pavement outside the gate and there is SOME vegetation - maybe not enough to qualify as a "garden", though.

If I had known that, one day, someone would want more details, I, too, would have taken a bit more notice!

If it's your birthday when you go, boringFS, do take your passport to claim free entry - just in case the offer is still open.

Edited: 17 October 2010, 16:33