We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Nile Boats

London, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
River Nile Boats

We have a trip arranged for March '06 and have been told we will be travelling on either the MS Nile Style or MS Salacia - does anyone have any information/comments on either of these craft?

Cheshire
3 posts
1. Re: River Nile Boats

Dear JE - I have just done the same with VJV travel but I cant find anything much on the interent about either ship. If you have been on your holiday then I would appreciate any feedback or tips!

thanks

CG

London, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: River Nile Boats

Hi CG Cheshire,

We have just returned (March 20th) from a trip with VJV. We were told a few days before travel that we would in fact be sailing on MS Hamees. Saw MS Salacia and Nile Style moored during our travels and they looked just as good as MS Hamees. Can't comment on Salacia/Nile Style as we never went on board. However, if they are of a similar standard,I'm sure you will be more than happy. Two pointers: 1st, do try to find out re: cabin allocation. We upgraded to an upper deck cabin - well worth the little extra expenditure. Much lighter and less noisy than lower cabins. 2nd - try to find out which side (port or starboard) your cabin is. Starboard is the one to opt for if you can. The Nile is busy and boats tend to either double or even treble park at night and at temple sites (Including Aswan and Luxor). If your cabin is portside it will effectively mean that you will get little or no daylight in your cabin because you will be immediately adjacent to another boat. We were portside and the only daylight we had was when we were moored against the dock - just one or two days. It's worth checking. Our boat was absolutely fine although the bathroom was looking a little tired. The staff on board were very polite and helpful. Watch point: If you are planning to visit Abul Simbel do consider the option to fly. We didn't want to take the long coach journey (up to 3 hours each way)and asked our guide to organise flight. It cost £120 each for the return flight but worth every bit! If you are flying with Astreus it would be good if you got to the airport good and early to try to buy an extra leg room seat. The charge was £20 per head and gave a little more leg room. Standard seating arrangement is extremely cramped and despite what VJV told us, there are no inflight entertainment screeens on the Aswan flights - a 6 hour flight. Lastly, do take plenty of cash rather than relying on cash points. You really wont get the chance to wander around town looking for ATM machines and the staff on board are happy to change stirling into Egyptian pounds. However, all purchases on board can be made by credit card at the end of the trip. Let me know if I can help further. Hope that helps & have a wonderful trip - we did!

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: River Nile Boats

HI! Sorry, this may be stupid question, but since I am very sensitive to motion, I wonder if I would need to bring anti-motion sickness medication when we take the Nile River cruise?

London, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: River Nile Boats

Hi.

The Nile was very smooth all week when we cruised on it, not even motion from other boats' waves when we passed them. The boats are quite large (about 70 metres) but only draw a metre and a half, so they are essentially flat-bottomed but their size means you hardly feel any motion. I can't think of any smoother waterborne journey I have ever taken, but if you are prone to motion sickness, then do take your medication with you, it can't do any harm.

When you visit some sights, the Temple of Philae at Aswan, for instance, you cross to the island involved by small ferries and at Luxor to get the the Valley of the Kings requires a half hour coach journey each way. From Aswan to Abu Simbel DONT MISS IT) is three hours each way by coach but half an hour's flight.

And at Luxor you can take a magical balloon trip at dawn over the Valley of the Kings. It puts everything in a humbling perspective.

So yes, take your medication with you to be on the safe side. And have a wonderful time.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: River Nile Boats

Thanks a lot JEtravel! I will bring my Gravol then. Is it true the river has a lot of crocodiles? Sorry, but that is me...paranoid.

London, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: River Nile Boats

Hi, gthcha

No, absolutely no crocodiles in the Nile ... at least that's what we were told! Certainly no signs whatsoever and I suspect the nearest you will come to one is in the zoo.

Cheshire
3 posts
7. Re: River Nile Boats

Dear JE

Many thanks for your detailed response. We will find out about cabin upgrades and request the best side of the boat!!! Glad you had a nice trip. We are looking forward to both culture and sun, with some relaxation too and good food??? Best wishes and thanks for your help

C

London, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: River Nile Boats

Sorry C - hit the wrong key! Should you be unfortunate enough to get a tummy bug - I'm sure the staff on board will help too. Best to take advise from your GP surgery when you get your travel jabs. Happy sailings and do let us know what you thought of the trip too.

All best

JE

Cheshire
3 posts
9. Re: River Nile Boats

Hi JE! It must be fate. I called VJV today and we are also going on the MS Hamees! I asked about an upgrade to an upper deck but its £100 each so, as we are on a budget, then we will make do with the lower deck, I'm sure it will be fine. I also asked for a starboard cabin but they said that this is sorted out on arrival. You have been very helpful. many thanks

C

London, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: River Nile Boats

That's a pleasure C & look forward to hearing from you on your return.

All best

JE