We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

M/S Sherryboat...wow!

Which Aswan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
215 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
M/S Sherryboat...wow!

I have just returned from a brilliant nile crusie taken on the Sherry Boat and want to share the amazing experience.

This boat may not be the newest but it certainly must be the one of the best.

I booked this cruise on a budget as the deal seemed extremely good and then worried. It had one of the best itineraries offering far more in terms of sight seeing trips than many other boats but was nearly half the price.

i need not have worried. This boat is spotlessley clean, the rooms are large and nicely decorated, not ultra modern but clean, tidy and cozy. The 2 sun decks give you great views as you saunter down the Nile and one has a lovely little plunge pool and jacuzzi which is cleaned and checked rergularly. There is plenty of comfortable seating and comfy sunbeds on both decks. A lovely bar is on the same level as the sun decks offering entertainment and a good selection of very reasonably priced drinks (another good reason for choosing the Sherry Boat).

The food was superb and plentiful.

We had a very knowledgeable guide called Milad who just couldn't do enough for us. Very sociable, excellent English and very funny...it would be worth requesting him if thats possible. All trips were in small groups and so were very personal. But what I liked most about the Sherry Boat was the cozy atmosphere and the extremely friendly, polite and hardworkling staff. Its not the biggest boat on the Nile and this is the advantage. We had all the amenities and comforts without bthe crowds which meant that we got real personal service. I will be visitng the Sherry Boat again as it was just so relaxing and enjoyable and we felt very well taken care of. Excellent value!

Mumbai (Bombay...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: M/S Sherryboat...wow!

Hi,

Can you please tell me how much did the cruise cost?

Thanks,

Maliha

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
215 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: M/S Sherryboat...wow!

It depends on how many people per cabin and the time of year and so it is best to contact them yourselves but it was the most reasonable at the time we went in April.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: M/S Sherryboat...wow!

Who is the company offering this boat, and please do quote what you paid for a pount of reference.

Devon
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: M/S Sherryboat...wow!

We've booked this boat and are going in a couple of weeks. We booked last December. It cost approx £1800 for the two of us - but please note that includes the 7 night cruise - Luxor -Aswan - Full Board and all the excursions and an internal flight to Cairo and 4 nights stay at the Movenpick Pyramid Resort. I'm not sure of the cost of just the cruise itself. I will try and check through old quotes and see if I can find it. We booked through Kuoni. Hope this helps a little!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: M/S Sherryboat...wow!

I could have written this review for any of the several cruises I have taken, just by changing the names and the layout of the sun deck.

Cruise website here, opens onto rates.

http://www.sherryboat.com/pages/rates.html

The long itinerary seems similar/identical to most cruises, with the Unfinished Obelisk added.

Anyone on a felluca on the Nile at Aswan can look up and see (view) the Mausoleum, which is closed to the public.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
619 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: M/S Sherryboat...wow!

Hi: if these are so cheap and sound so great, how come more people don't do them and talk about them?? Has anyone had a bad experience on them? The site says they are 5*. Thanks--

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: M/S Sherryboat...wow!

Of the many people who cruise only a small percentage post on here so you can't judge a boat because not enough people post on it.

It may be fantastic but the sort of people who use it aren't Trip Advisor posters. Usually, if a boats really bad you hear more about it as a warning to others so sometimes less is better.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: M/S Sherryboat...wow!

went on sherry in 2007

was ok 3 star...ish

many passengers got sick from tummy bug as some waiters handling the food were sick and still working the dining room

our schedule was changed which meant a whole day wasted at esna to wait for for some

''wealthy Egyptian passengers''

would not recommend

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
619 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: M/S Sherryboat...wow!

Thanks for the info. Decided to go 5* and hopefully will not have any problems. Inshallah.

Rolleston
Level Contributor
1 post
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: M/S Sherryboat...wow!

This boat is advertised and sold as 5*, and luxurious. We believe this to be completely misleading, having just had a week on this poor excuse for a luxury cruise.

Cabin accommodation was of the standard offered by a poor b&b of past decades, with hard slatted beds, lumpy pillows , inadequate lighting and noisy air conditioning.The furniture is old, scratched and shabby,and the carpets were filthy. The bathroom, possibly described as a wet room, was a horror, with grubby shower curtain round a shower, resulting in everything in the bathroom getting soaked, and a dangerously slippery tiled floor as it drains away.

Food was adequate, but dreary, daily breakfasts never vary, lunches a set menu, and you are asked to chose your dinner at lunchtime. For non-meat eaters, fish or vegetarian dishes can be provided, but you end up having exactly the same dish for lunch and dinner for your entire stay. Wines and beers are expensive at European price levels, and water is many times the price in local shops, or even from the traders who offer the same bottled water at every stop.

The top deck is furnished with plenty of sun beds, but very little shade from the midday sun. There is a pool, but it looked too murky for swimming, and the hot tub does not seem to have been used for a long time. At the moment there are few boats working on the Nile, but Sherry boat is certainly far from the pick of the crop.