We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Philae or Moevenpick in Aswan?

London, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Philae or Moevenpick in Aswan?

I have read the TA reviews and know Moevenpick is on an island with frequent boat transport and probably has nicer grounds.

How would you compare the 2 hotels and which one would you chose for a 3 night stay in December, based on best quality of rooms, easy location for sightseeing and value for money. Also considering I have a morning flight to Abu Simbel one of the days

(I dont care much about the pool, as it would likely be too cold to swim)

Moevenpick seems really overpriced for December (US$150-$200 before Cristmas period).

Thanks

Cleveland, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Philae or Moevenpick in Aswan?

tto cold to swim -you got to be joking

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Philae or Moevenpick in Aswan?

We go to the Isis Island in December and the pool is heated, admittedly it is still cold getting in, but we always go for a dip or sit with out feet in the water. If you don't want to pay the Movenpick prices the Isis is at least a 1/3 cheaper, I looked for when we are going in December and they had a special deal for £75 for 3 nights B&B. We usually pay around £85.

Phil

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Philae or Moevenpick in Aswan?

As Phil900 highlights there is quite a difference in price between The Philae and The Moevenpick. We have been inside the Philae and the manager there seemed like a helpful lady. I haven't seen the rooms but it gets good reviews on TA. It also has a central location.

The Moevenpick is our favorite hotel in Aswan. It used to be the Old Cataract but the refurbishment introduced us to The Moevenpick. The rooms aren't luxurious (like Fairmont or Four Seasons) but they are extremely comfortable, clean, with sofas and generous balconies. Service isn't perfect but they try hard to get it right and correct mistakes. The views are absolutely outstanding. I love the island the hotel is on. The Moevenpick courtesy boats whisk you back and forward all day and night. The pool isn't as warm as the pool at The Isis Island but it is clean, large and has an attractive sunbathing area.

Phil's suggestion of an alternative - The isis Island is a good one. It seems a better value choice than The Philae. I love the location of The Isis Island but the service there (and accommodation in need of an upgrade) always puts us off staying. We always go for a drink to Isis Island as we love the walks and the stunning location. Even getting lunch can be an ordeal but the charm of the island offsets that. Accommodation deals are extremely competitive and inexpensive at the Isis island.

Edited: 21 May 2012, 14:05
West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Philae or Moevenpick in Aswan?

We tried to stay at the Philae when we went to Aswan a year ago but could not make contact via email to book with them. They seem not to sell rooms via the internet. At least when we were looking at them. It may have been because we were trying to book from North America. We went by the Philae when we were in aswan to check it out. They were doing renos at the time. It is in a good location.

We ended up staying at the Movenpick and really enjoyed it. Very nice location. The boat ride was a great part of the experience. Breakfast was great.

It

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Philae or Moevenpick in Aswan?

My favourites in Aswan now the Old Cataract is so expensive are the Movenpick where the rooms are nicely decorated and the chef is anxious to please, or the Isis Island where the pool is heated, the price is a bargain and the gardens are gorgeous. I only have breakfast at the Isis but it is super easy to take the shuttle boat and eat at the Aswan Moon, where the proprietor addressed me as My Daughter, or other floating restos just along the Corniche.

6. Re: Hotel Philae or Moevenpick in Aswan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Aswan