We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tribal Clashes in Aswan (April 2014) - OK to Travel?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tribal Clashes in Aswan (April 2014) - OK to Travel?

Hello,

I'm due to fly into Aswan from Cairo this Friday to embark on a Nile Cruise. I've been following the news on the recent tribal clashes in Aswan over the weekend and my partner has read in the local media about all the roads leading to Aswan Airport being closed.

I would like to seek the advise of fellow TripAdvisors in Aswan now if it's still okay to travel to Aswan and if there any issues with transportation from the airport?

Thank you!

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tribal Clashes in Aswan (April 2014) - OK to Travel?

Have you contacted the cruise ship company you are going with? What have they told you?

It appears that the army is stepping in to control the violence and the situation should improve soon. None of the violence so far has been directed towards tourists and has only been directed towards the clans involved.

The cruise company will have local representatives who will be advising them if it is safe. I would contact the cruise company and see what they advise.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tribal Clashes in Aswan (April 2014) - OK to Travel?

A lot could happen in a few days. Hard to predict, and tour companies may have to err on the side of caution if pressed. It's not aimed at tourists and the main problems were in the east, not the west where the airport is situated. But the media photos of the airport roads being blocked were very graphic. Hopefully the military will have it under control in a few days.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 05:33
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tribal Clashes in Aswan (April 2014) - OK to Travel?

Thanks for the replies! I've checked with the tour company and they said that it's fine. Just wanted to get a second opinion just in case we would have to find alternatives. Situation seems to be easing up now with the truce, so fingers crossed.

4. Re: Tribal Clashes in Aswan (April 2014) - OK to Travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 05:17