We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

up to date info on visiting abu simbel

Which Aswan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
up to date info on visiting abu simbel

hi all,

i am looking to visit abu simbel. do i need to book the trip in advance with a tour company or is it possible to get to aswan and deal with it there? do i need to take a private car or is it possible to take a public bus?

thanks in advance

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: up to date info on visiting abu simbel

The picture on the article is taken from there and could be worse but also better. I just had a small pocket camera with no viewfinder with me on that occasion which reminds me that, if buying a camera for Egypt, one with a viewfinder (rather than display screen only) is fairly essential if you want to see what you are taking. Otherwise bright sunlight on a display screen makes it nigh impossible to see anything until you get into the shade!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: up to date info on visiting abu simbel

thank you TheBigStick, very imformative. I visited yesterday and had a wonderful experience.

Columbus, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: up to date info on visiting abu simbel

Does anyone know what options are available for travel from Aswan to Abu Simbel for Egyptians? I've read that there is a bus, but I can't really find much more info than that. Does anyone know what times it departs and from where/how to purchase a ticket? Can Egyptians take a taxi at anytime?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: up to date info on visiting abu simbel

David A, the number of tourists that were there the day before yesterday was absolutely negligible. keeping this in mind, i do not recall seeing anyone that I could say with certainty that he/she is Egyptian, I live here in Egypt so I think I would recognise them. Either way, if your plan is to take a bus for Egyptians, I wouldn't recommend it. we were stopped 3-4 times on the road by police and my nationality was taken. before you can go, the guide/group organising your tour also requires your passport details. i was one of the "lucky" ones, I had an armed officer ride with me to Abu Simbel, and another armed officer ride back with me to Aswan.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 16:38
Columbus, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: up to date info on visiting abu simbel

adam2pac,

Thanks for the reply. I'm an Egyptian expat. With that said, do you know what the situation is for Egyptians? One hotel said I can take a taxi at any time, as in come and go as I like. Others said this isn't the case. Do you know anything about the bus? Ideally, I would take an Egyptair flight, but even if I'm able to eventually book a flight, theres a good chance it will be cancelled. Since I'll have to travel by road, I might as well go with the cheapest option, which seems to be the bus from Aswan. Do you know anything about the times it departs and returns or where/how to schedule a seat on that bus? Thanks!

16. Re: up to date info on visiting abu simbel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2015, 17:12
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: up to date info on visiting abu simbel

You mean share a 'minivan'; it really depends on the day, and not all people using the minivans are tourists (there's quite a bit of development going on in Abu Simbel just now, for instance, and some people who work iin Abu Simbel have families in Aswan). If you have a bit of flexibility, you can try, or try the next day; If not, take your chances on the public bus (bus, not minivan) which costs about one-twentienth.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: up to date info on visiting abu simbel

All traffic is subject to security.

19. Re: up to date info on visiting abu simbel

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2015, 17:12
20. Re: up to date info on visiting abu simbel

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 06:17