We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxor pass

scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
59 reviews
Luxor pass

Visiting Luxor after a Nile cruise. I am going to purchase a Luxor Pass Including entry to the tombs of Seti I and Nefertiti .Thanks to posters on this forum for the information supplied.

Have you got to purchase this pass in person?

Is it possible to have your tour company purchase it for you in advance( give them the us dolars.passport copies and passport photos ) ?

If this has to be done in person can I purchase on a Monday for the pass to start from Tuesday the next day?

Thanks

24 replies to this topic
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Luxor pass

From personal experience, all the indications are that, yes, you have to purchase the pass yourself, from the Antiquities Office which is located immediately to the rear of the museum (I'll try to post a screen capture from Bing Maps showing the exact location of the office later).

This is due to them actually checking your passport against both you and the copy, plus photo, you supply (these latter are stapled to the pass and checked at every tomb and temple you visit).

On the other hand, they did ask whether I wanted the pass to start on the day of purchase, so it is highly likely that you could purchase it one day and have the validity run from the next day.

scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Luxor pass

Thanks for the reply which addresses my questions.Much appreciates.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Luxor pass

Greetings, is it possible that you can help me? How was your experience with the Luxor and the Cairo Pass, is it profitable? What sites do you include? thank you very much

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Luxor pass

Sorry, I didn't get the Cairo Pass, as I was only in Cairo for 3 nights, so a 5 day pass wasn't really worth investing in.

With regard to the Luxor Pass, and bearing in mind the views expressed pre-date the recently announced price increases for individual site admission and that I can't say whether the price of the Luxor Pass will increase inline with said increases, please see the last page of this thread:

https:/…85801418

You're never going to make a profit on the admission fees but, if you actually visit every site on the East and West Banks, you can save a not unsubstantial amount of money, and be quids in (as the Brits say) should you decide to make multiple visits to the speciality tombs, in the Kings' and Queens' Valleys.

scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Luxor pass

Another advantage would be not having to que for individual tickets and have small denomination notes for individual tickets

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Luxor pass

Most West Bank tickets have to be purchased at the main ticket office, opposite Qurnet Murai, and you pay a total price for all of those purchased at one time. It's really only the special tombs that you have to pay onsite (although you can buy tickets for such sites as the Kings' Valley, Queens' Valley and Deir el Bahari at the site ticket office).

On the East Bank, yes tickets must be purchased at each site, except that for the Mut Precinct, which has to be purchased at the main Karnak ticket office.

Derbyshire, United...
1 post
7. Re: Luxor pass

You have to go in person

You can have the Pass to start from any date

France
Level Contributor
248 posts
213 reviews
8. Re: Luxor pass

Hello and thank you so much for the useful info. I have a (silly?) question concerning the Luxor pass. Can one pay with a credit card (Visa, Amex)? If not what currency do you have to use? Dollars, euros, Egyptian pounds? We are going on Dec. 27 and need to know in advance whether we we'll need cash. Thanks in advance. FW

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Luxor pass

Cash only, I'm afraid.

I took US Dollars, specifically to pay for the pass, though others have reported that Euros are being accepted. The problem being you aren't likely to get a 100% accurate exchange rate between your Euros and the Dollar price (the Antiquities Office is somewhat run down and basic, so no direct link to exchange rates).

They are however quite friendly and you're likely to be offered tea once they've sorted out the pass.

France
Level Contributor
248 posts
213 reviews
10. Re: Luxor pass

Thank you so much. You are very helpful--as usual. FW

Reply to: Luxor pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted