We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry to west bank

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kent
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
ferry to west bank

hi,

can any one tell me how often,what time it starts and finishes of a day and is the access good for disabled travellers?

Thanks Dave

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry to west bank

The ferry starts at silly o'clock in the morning - something like 3 am and runs until really late. It continues all day, every day and takes about 15 minutes maximum.

It costs visitors LE2 = 20p return. Locals pay less.

On board entertainment includes having your shoes cleaned and admiring the livestock eg chickens.

Access is poor as I remember - it involves a long flight of steps down from the Corniche to the landing and having to step down into the ferry from the dock.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry to west bank

The ferry runs for almost from very early in the morning to the wee small hours. Disabled access may be tricky - depends on the level of disability. First of all there's a flight of steps to conquer, then the pier and then actually getting onto the ferry as there is no ramp access. If you don't mind being manhandled then it's possible!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry to west bank

The following is an extract from Wikpedia:

(Quote)A bridge was recently constructed a few miles upstream of the main town of Luxor, allowing ready land access from the East Bank to the West Bank. Traditionally, however, river crossings have been the domain of several ferry services. The so-called 'local ferry' (also known as the 'National Ferry') continues to operate from a landing opposite the Temple of Luxor. The single fare (March 2007) is 1 L.E. - one Egyptian Pound - per passenger for foreigners. This ferry is mainly used by the locals although a number of foreigners do use it. The sites on the West Bank are further than you think and you will need transport, a taxi-driver may well approach you on the ferry, make sure you agree a price. There are also local cars that reach some of the monuments for 25 piasters. Alternatively motorboats line the East Bank of the Nile all day providing a quicker, but more expensive (5L.E.), crossing to the other side. (Unquote).

I believe the prices quoted are probably correct, at least that's what we paid last year. I believe the local population probably pay significantly less about 25 piastres (quarter of an Egyptian pound) with tourists paying a 'premium' - but whatever you pay either E£1 or E£2 it's not going to break the bank. I think you would definitely struggle if you have moderate to severe mobility problems, even a private motor boat crossing (still cheap at E£5 - E£10 per trip (not person) would not be without difficulties. Unfortunately Luxor in common with many locations in Egypt is not really geared up to providing disabled access in these sort of areas. However, you may well find that there are more than a few people more that willing to help you - a small tip is always appreciated. Finally I hope you do manage to make the ferry crossing - as one of the earlier replies indicated you do get to see a great variety of life - even refreshments/snacks are available even though it is a short crossing.

UK
Level Contributor
574 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry to west bank

Dave,

Just my thoughts...

Don't worry about wheelchair access at the ferry - or anywhere else.

Your biggest problem might be the number of locals who come to help you, very carefully, without thought of reward.

Despite the postings about 'hassle' the locals are (mostly) what I wish we still had in the UK....very helpful and innately human.

Matt.

PS - I post from personal experience of a trip with a wife with a broken hip.

5. Re: ferry to west bank

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 11:19