We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balloon ride

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Balloon ride

Hi

We are going to Luxor 17th Sept, having a weeks cruise and then a week at the sofitel Karnak. I would like to do the balloon trip sometime during the second week and understand they are only done at sunrise.Does anybody know what time sunrise is last week in Sept.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balloon ride

I have done this in june and august..we were picked up on both occasions at around 0515 for transfer from hotel over to the West Bank. Would think the timings would roughly be the same.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Balloon ride

You are normally collected from your hotel about 5.30 am and taken across the river to the west bank where the balloons normally take off from.

Would strongly recommend you do not book through your holiday rep as it will probably cost nearly twice as much as going to the local travel agents like Jolleys or Karnak Travel who are situated immediately in front of the Old Winter Palace Hotel, expect to pay about £30 - £40 pp with them, have haggle over the price, it is expected as you will quickly learn when buying anything in Luxor.

It is a wonderful experience so do go and enjoy!

London
Level Contributor
419 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balloon ride

Your 'ballooon people' will give you a time and pick you up from the hotel and take you to the launch site. It's an early one, but well worth every lost minute of sleep!

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balloon ride

Thank you all,sounds great.Can't wait.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Balloon ride

I highly recommend MonaLiza Tours for ALL your trips, transfers etc whilst in Luxor. They can be found right opposite the Nile Palace and Sonesta hotels. Booked our airport transfer with them for LE25 one-way for 2 people! Some UK-based transfer sites are asking £25GBP for the same trip!!! Be warned. They offer great ballon trips for £30. Fantastic value and includes pick-up to and from the hotel, ferry across the Nile (incl. tea/coffee and a cake en-route), bus to the launch site, 40 mins aloft plus a souvenire certificate and T-shirt.

Absoultely brilliant value and experience. One word of caution though, wear a hat as the gas burner throws out incredible heat! Also, DON'T forget the mossie repellent - the launch site is in open agricultural land that is swarming with the little bast@rds! I got eaten alive before we even took off. Apart from that, a brilliant experience.

BTW, MonaLiza offer the Karnak Sound & Light Show for £10 incl transfers and a fantastic Cairo by Air daytrip for £100 (including return flights with Egyptair, transfers, lunch and all entrance fees to the Egyptian Museum, Pyramids, Sphinx and personal tour guide throughout). Can't recommend them highly enough. :-)

Southport
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balloon ride

As other posters have said, dont book through your rep far too expensive. We booked recently for all our trips including the air balloon with Real Life Egypt, great prices and fantastic service.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Balloon ride

Hi Mich...good time then? just read your review..gave a yes vote for you..lol.....

See you did the balloon ride with www.reallifeegypt.com Ace aren't they?

Got any tips for people on here. Where did you eat? What did you do? etc

Karen

Southport
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Balloon ride

Hi Kazl,

Yes we had a brilliant time - gutted to be home!

Real Life Egypt were really fantastic, they just made everything so hassle free, from picking us up at the airport when we arrived, all the trips were great, and we went back to airport with them. It was great having somebody there to give advice when it was a new experience.

Loved Fellahs Tent was such a laugh and really good food!

I was surprised out of the week I didnt get a dodgy stomach at all, although I think I've got obsessive compulsive disorder about washing my hands!

When are you going back? Any plans yet?

Mich

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Balloon ride

Tanks for all your advice.Most helpfull.

What is Fellahs tent ,heard it mentioned before but still clueless.Where is it and how much.

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Balloon ride

Hi,

The Fellah's tent is an Egyptain evening with meal and entertainment. Belly dancer, whirling dirvish, snake charmer etc, I believe, though not done it myself yet. It takes place at the Jolie-Ville Movenpick hotel on Crocodile Island.