We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to wear???

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
essex
2 posts
Save Topic
what to wear???

hey just wondering if someone could help as me and my boyfriend are going to luxor and we are not sure what to wear when we are walking around the towns, we've heard storys about having to make sure your covered up and this that and the other????

South Wales Gwent
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: what to wear???

Hi Both

Just wear normal summer clothes but nothing revealing and u wont go far wrong, U can stay cool And casual without offending anyone or drawing attention 2 urself.

Paul

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to wear???

Hi there! As Eygypt is a Muslim country and as I have been there often, my advice is to dress modestly. No tank tops, short shorts or mini skirts as this dress code is considered offensive. No short shorts for the men either. Longer the better. Have a great time!

northwest
Level Contributor
55 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to wear???

Just returned from Luxor and like you I was concerned about what to wear. We took a variety of clothes as we were told we would have to cover up and dress up for dinner. We found that anything goes and as long a you are cool and comfy that is the main thing. The weather is extremely hot and EVERYONE was just wearing shorts and camisole tops etc some people had swimming costumes and kaftans to go on trips and walking round Luxor. Even in the hotel, we stayed at the NIle palace, people wore shorts and t shirts for dinner. I think as long as you are clean and tidy thats all that matters. As for being covered up or dressed modestly to avoid hassle we didn't find that worked at all. When ever we went through the door of the hotel you were hassled!!!! Just take clothes with you that you would wear on any holiday. Remember to pakc good sun cream and a hat! Enjoy your holiday

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to wear???

Yes, wear loose clothes covering arms, legs and and chest to minimise hassle. You can wear shorts etc but will get pestered more by salesmen.

northwest
Level Contributor
55 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to wear???

didnt matter what we wore we still got pestered with sales people!!!!

England
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what to wear???

One of the most important things to wear is a hat of some discription, it is so easy to get a burned scalp. I found a baseball cap ideal as it also helped protect my face but anything with a brim would surfice

London, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what to wear???

In general, people in Luxor were NOT offended how people dressed.

But it makes practical sense to wear light loose cotton/linen clothes.

You will be oggled at and pestered if you wear skimpy clothes

If you dress OTT - you will draw huge attention. It is a poor country and anyone who looks rich or evern suggestive attracts a lot of attention and harrassment. The 'harrassment' you will get will be for your money for the services/goods on offer.

Tips: Dont carry a handbag as it looks like you have loads of money!

I found a shawl very useful. It dusty and pavements are not always safe, so wear comfortable shoes.

Have a sense of humour ! Egyptian people are naturally curious and enjoy meeting tourists. . You WILL et attention because you are a tourist - but definately do not want to too much attention/harrasment - so dress sensibly, dont worry and enjoy the Luxor madness :-).

8. Re: what to wear???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 11:19