We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

post Egypt

Manchester, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
post Egypt

Enjoyed Luxor brillient history great hotel st josephs and well tended staff.

It realy wound me up with the constant begging and people ripping you off. the taxis follow you even when you have told them you want to walk. Even though you agree a taxi price they then turn it around and say egypt pound no good i want English pound and then continue to make a scene in the middle of the street until you give in. The tourist police will not help you until you ask for it. so you have to have some bottle to ask the police for help when the taxi driver knows where you are staying and basically for how long. Going on a boat trip on the nile can be very intimidating for the tourist i travelled on my own and the locals soon seemed to know. i was constantly propositioned by the crews to take me to "bannana island" and gesticulating with their hands sexual obscenities. I felt intimidated to leave the hotel and spent most time there unless on organised trips. If you go into the temples latch on to English tourists and barter a price with the tour guide i got a tour of Luxor temple and a trip by taxi to the valley of the kings entrance fee and taxi included for around 200 Egyptian pound and that was with a visit to an alabastar place thrown in.By the way i am not homaphobic but constant harrasment does wind people up if your not that way inclined. If their is a next time my wife and teenager will be with me.

england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: post Egypt

the harrassers would have got an "Imshee" (go away) from me, and then a slap across the face! If a taxi driver makes a scene, make a bigger one, they are soon embarrased.

england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: post Egypt

they've insulted you, so an insult back is to throw a shoe at them, or show the soles of your shoes, or just take off your shoe or flip-flop, and slap the harrasser's arm with it!

england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: post Egypt

but dont let 'the few ' spoil yr holiday - there are many lovely kind people there

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: post Egypt

We had a problem in sharm with a taxi driver gave him a 20LE and he switched it to a 5LE then wanted another 15LE. saw him do it, my mistake was to ask him if that was the right money, we eventually, just walked away with him shouting at us. Your trip to the alabaster factory was not for your benefit as the taxi driver would have got a percentage of what you bought. The same as if you go to a perfume, gold or papyrus shop as we did on our trips. I can put up with the hassle, you tend to accept it, but its the intimidating hassle, standing in front of you and not letting you pass, or following you and then being rude to you when you don't give them money for doing nothing, or don't take up their service, that I find a problem.

Phil

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,054 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: post Egypt

Would you really advise someone to slap someone across the face? OK so the harrasment is pretty bad, and imshee doesn't always work, but to advocate what is in effect physical violence in a foreign country against a national of that country is not the best solution. What if the person retaliated; then what next?

Plus the person slapped could report you for assault.

northwest
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: post Egypt

I dont agree with slapping them although I feel some deserve it!! Is it not assault when they grab you and try to take you in a shop into the taxi this really spoiled our holiday. Even tried going out of the touristy areas and it was just as bad. After saving up for 12months for what should have been a holiday of a life time we were really disappointed. The Nile cruise was brill until you got off the boat, the Nile Palace hotel was brill untill you set foot outside. WE tried le shukran no and other words suggested on this website but NOTHING worked. The tourist police saw what was happening and did nothing. Only 1 day when I felt realy intimidated, scared what ever with them following us pulling at our clothes etc , I went to the tourist police who shouted at them and slapped them did they leave us a lone. " words spring to mind NEVER AGAIN!!!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,054 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: post Egypt

Sue,

I have never been grabbed or forced to take a taxi I didn't want. Never found myself in that situation, and have been going to Egypt since 1993, although harrasment is getting worse. I have travelled throughout the Middle east, to Jordan, Syria and Lebanon and Dubai and have never been harrassed.

The one thing that does encourage it is inappropiate dress; ie. skimpy tops and shorts,and another is showing the slightest interest in something if you really aren't interested. I always avoid eye contact with people I wish to avoid, and that works. I also can speak a limited amount of Arabic, and this helps diffuse potential trouble. Also a bit of humour goes a long way.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but the majority of people manage to deal with the harrasment somehow without resorting to tourist police. The OP is asking for trouble telling people to give them a good slap, as if they were unruly children. That would inflame any situation.

northwest
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: post Egypt

We were wearing 3/4 trousers and long sleeve loose tops in fact my friend with me at the time had long trousers on and a kaftan style top this didnt make any difference what so every! We made no eye contact heads down and walked in fact we said we felt ignorant ignoring them

england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: post Egypt

Ive never been been agressively hassled or forced to take a taxi, speak a bit of arabic and have travelled and worked in various countries in the middle east for 30 years, dress appropriately and plan to retire there. Never slapped anyone. But I know someone who has - she lives there, dresses appropriately, married to an egyptian but once she was called a sharmouta by a worker so she slapped him. If someone went on repeatedly making offensive sexual overtones to me, offensive gestures propositions and so on - I would of course report it to the authorities - but he may also get a little slap to get out of my face - I wasnt suggesting everyone getting a bit of hassle to thump everyone - put it into perspective - it does spoil some peoples holiday and I hate that, bevcause I love the place

england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: post Egypt

PS put into perspective!