We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in July

Dublin
Level Contributor
82 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in July

Thinking of going to Luxor in July but am worried that the heat might be unbearable.

Any information?

sussex
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in July

July will be very hot. If you want to go sightseeing make sure you do your trips early in the day as the afternoon in the valley of the kings is like stepping into your oven just after you have cooked your sunday roast.

UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in July

Have a look at the weather page on www.luxortraveltips.com. It is in the 'essentials' section. Officially, the temperature in June, July and August gets up to 41 degrees, but that is in the shade. I have a picture of my wife holding a thermometer showing 58 degrees. Local people go to Alexandria in the summer if they can, because it is too hot in Luxor and cooler on the coast.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in July

In July it is hot, hot, hot - usually 40 - 43+ deg! Good advice to do your trips in the early mornings when it can bearable. Because the temples are in open places with no vegetation the sun is merciless both in heat and reflection. September/October and worked around Ramadan would be a better choice - still very warm but tolerable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in July

Hi drink loads of water and wear loose cotton clothing. You will find a brolly or parasol a godsend.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,240 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in July

The heat would be unbearable for me. I would not go to Luxor between April and October. You could not leave the hotel much except very early in the morning. When we went to the Valley of the Kings in October, it was almost unbearably hot then. Think very carefully before you book.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in July

Hi agree with above October was hot enough for us walking about and standing in the heat. Although I am a sunworshipper I wouldnt want to do it in July. Spent 2 days in Cairo in the height of summer and it was hard going.

London
Level Contributor
389 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in July

I know some other people would disagree with me, but we've been to Luxor for the past two years in mid August, and have found the weather glorious. It has been in the mid 40s by the afternoon, but because the heat is very dry, it is much easier to cope with than lower temperatures in other countries like Greece, Thailand etc where humidity is much higher. Trips all start early in the morning, so that you are back in your hotel by lunchtime, and the minibuses are all airconditioned. It is also much quieter during the summer months, with far fewer tourists. You need to make sure you drink plenty of water and use a high factor sun cream, but we are all very fair skinned and freckly, and haven't found the heat unbearable at any time.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in July

We went to Sharm in July last year and did a day trip to Luxor. Sharm was very hot, Luxor was even hotter! It was definitely not sightseeing weather and I wish we'd gone in a cooler month as it was unbearable walking round the valley of the kings and karnak temple in that heat.

sussex
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in July

I too have been to luxor in august. The heat never bothers me but having been in the Valley of the Kings in the mid afternnon heat I would say go in the early morning as walking up that hill in heat around 160 was a killer.

England
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in July

growlybear,

totally agree with you. we go every year in July / August and have never had any problem with the heat. Last year we took some friends and no-one (4 adults, 4 kids) had a problem with the heat. As you say it is also the best time to see the attractions as it is quieter.

We also go during the winter months but use this as a relaxation holiday. All our sightseeing is done in the summer.

Just be sensible and don't spend too long sunbathing. You can still get a decent tan in the shade!

Get answers to your questions about Luxor