We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm machines

Scotland
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Atm machines

Hi all, just wondering if the cash machines are easy to use, similar to UK ?? Thanks, Trish

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Atm machines

Yea you won't have any problems using them. Just a note though. Let your bank know that you will be using a card here. Heard of several people who had a block put on their cards and had to make several calls to the UK to sort it. My own son was one of them!!

Plymouth England
Level Contributor
372 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atm machines

There are plenty of them in Luxor pop your card in and the instrutions will come up in English no different than using them at home except you will get your money in LE

Scotland
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Atm machines

That"s a relief,was worrying a bit!!

Trish

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atm machines

ATMs do accept VISA, Mastercard and often other logo cards. They generally work well.

A word of advice though: always do a small amount transaction e.g 10 or 20 pounds first and only if if goes well (cash dispensed, receipt printed) then request the larger amount. I once had $400 blocked for 3 weeks after a transaction in Luxor failed to finalize.

The worst case scenario is the ATM might suffer a telecom disconnection or some other tech problem during your transaction and you will end up with no cash, no receipt, nothing. Still not a major cause for alarm, in 99%+ of these cases your issuer bank will be able to recover your money in up to 45 days. But unnecessary churn can be avoided as shown above.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atm machines

A word of caution...to avoid possible access to your banking or credit card account. I travel with a VISA debit card, used specifically for traveling. I put a certain amount of cash on the card (example: $1000.00 US), and this is what I have available to withdraw. This way, no one has access to my bank or credit card info. (of course, I carry a credit card for emergencies). Not sure if this is available in other countries.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atm machines

Just beware of people dressed like security guards who try to be helpful when you are using the ATMs. It's not so much that they will steal your card or your money but it becomes an excuse for them to ask you for "baksheesh" for the "help" they gave you. More of an annoyance than anything else.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atm machines

I agree whole heartedly with the above 2 posts - a debit card cashed up with your own funds is the best way to use a ATM in Egypt. These cards don't have a magnetic strip so they are vertually fraud proof as far as ATM's are concerned. I have also heard of stories where security guards, when they notice that you are having problems getting cash from the ATM ask for your PIN or password, take your card and go into the bank to sort it out for you - this is a BIG NO NO! Also, it is wise to carry just enough cash on you to get by as the ATMs seem to run out of cash and it can be a few days before it is replenished. Hope that this helps!

England
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Atm machines

This is beginning to sound ever-so frightening! Of course it is essential to take proper precautions wherever you use a card or an ATM. Regrettably there are technical failures and naughty people everywhere. However, let's not over-do it. By and large the network is reliable (outside the rare storms that put everything out) and I wouldn't want anyone to see my PIN or take my card in any country.

The original question was whether the machines are easy to use. The answer is yes, they are just like the ones in the UK. Are they reliable. Yes, but occasionally they run out of cash or have a technical 'sorry out of order' - just like the ones in the UK. Are they safe to use? Yes, but take normal security precautions and beware of people trying to be helpful - just like in the UK. Coming back to the question. Are they similar to the UK? Yes.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,950 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atm machines

totally agree with the above post!

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Atm machines

Also agree - have never had a problem with ATM's in Egypt (or South Africa for that matter) BUT have twice been the victim of card fraud in UK - and I never let anyone have my PIN anywhere.

I have a Nationwide Flexaccount and that Debit card allows me to draw cash commission free anywhere in the world. Also their Credit card does not have additional charges for purchases overseas.