We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Restaurants

England
13 posts
Save Topic
Nice Restaurants

When we go to Luxor in August it will be our 27th wedding anniversary, can anyone recommend any nice resturants to go to?

Thanks

Nezzy1

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
merseyside
Level Contributor
7,973 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Restaurants

Depends how upmarket you want to go...for a posher experience (!!) I would think the 1884 restaurant in the Old Winter Palace would be nice. You have to dress up approriately but it seems popular on here. Type in '1884 restaurant' in the search box to read posts about it while waiting for more replies.

Sofra is another one...their website is www.sofra.com.eg ...Old building done up beautifully and the food is really nice.

Congratulations by the way ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Sofra Restaurant & Cafe
Sofra Restaurant & Cafe
1,335 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Restaurants

Hi there. Our favourites were the Lantern and Snobs - Snobs probably just had the edge though. Lovely menus with western and local food - and good Sunday roast dinners as well!! Enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Snobs
Snobs
409 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Restaurants

The Lantern is my choice. I'm an Aussie so the "fish, chips & mushy pea" experience doesn't work well but they do have a special Egyptian banquet which you will have to give them at least a day's booking notice. A gourmet delight and so much food that you won't have to eat again for a week!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,849 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Restaurants

Sofra is good, but type "Luxor restaurants" into the search box and you will find virtually everywhere mentioned.

Mentioned in this post
Sofra Restaurant & Cafe
Sofra Restaurant & Cafe
1,335 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Restaurants

I have to go with The Lantern. We found the food excellent. Debbie is from the UK and cooks a lot of the food herself and supervises everything in the evening.

UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Restaurants

Just to even things out between Snobs and Lantern, I'm going to go with the Snobs option. Lantern is OK, but bearing in mind this is a special occasion I think the extra attention to detail at Snobs wins it for me. For example, the Head Waiter is in a smart suit, whereas Debbie, who seems to perform a similar role at Lantern, was wearing jeans the last evening we went. You also get the finger bowls, cold towel when it is hot and so on.

They both have their strong and weaker points on food, but again I think Snobs has more pluses and fewer negatives.

Of course, it depends what kind of evening you want, but leaving aside the food, Snobs gets the detail right.

I agree with the first poster that the 1886 is also good for an occasion, but we have been disappointed with the food sometimes, as have others if you browse through the comments in this forum. You could do afternoon tea in the Victoria lounge at the Old Winter Palace, rest awhile and enjoy the ambiance, then get a taxi to an evening meal at Snobs (or Lantern if the finesse of Snobs is not important). Then you get two treats!

Mentioned in this post
Snobs
Snobs
409 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
k8ty1971
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Restaurants

Sofra every time go for the egyptian experience, very welcoming lovely food, and great people - word of advice sit upstairs for the atmospher. ENJOY it was the best place we ate at. Snobs being a little too british for our liking.

Mentioned in this post
Sofra Restaurant & Cafe
Sofra Restaurant & Cafe
1,335 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Snobs
Snobs
409 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice Restaurants

Try the Oasis (just around the corner from the Etap/ Mercure Coralia).

It is set in the ground floor of a traditional house, is decorated with local art which is for sale, has interesting music and serves a blend of local and international food. The food is good and you know you are in Egypt.

We were impressed by the choice of non-smoking or smoking rooms!

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice Restaurants

We recently had guests who were celebrating a birthday while they were here in Luxor. The lady asked if we could arrange a surprise celebration meal for them at a "nice "restaurant. We asked at Sofra and they did everything required, lovely meal (as usual) bithday cake complete with candle (the leftovers of which came back to our house to be devoured) and a rousing rendition of happy birthday!

Sofra have private dining rooms as well as normal rooms and the lovely roof terrace. Althuogh they do not have a liquor licence, it really takes some beating and knocks spots off the already mentioned competition (in my humble opinion, that is). But it depends on what you want.

The Sonesta St George offer a 5 course dinner cruise on a Dahabeya for £35 (we think). We haven't tried this, but it should be marvellous! Maybe another poster can recommend?

Another possibility, might be a dinner (and romantic stayover) at the beautiful Al Moudira hotel on the West Bank. Look on their website

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Sofra Restaurant & Cafe
Sofra Restaurant & Cafe
1,335 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor
Sonesta St. George Hotel...
1,641 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Al Moudira Hotel
Al Moudira Hotel
241 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
10. Re: Nice Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 20:19