We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellent Luxor tour guide

toronto, canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Excellent Luxor tour guide

Just returned from a fabulous Egypt adventure in April. I had an excellent guide in Luxor, Aswan and Abu Simbel, whom I would wholeheartedly recommend. His name is Emile Ghaly, and he is based in Luxor. Emile possesses excellent English and a comprehensive knowledge of the sites and Egyptian history. He was very attuned to the needs of our group, resting when needed, finding little shops with good deals and no hassle, yet still managing to cover the sites in detail with wonderful commentary and insights. I recommend him highly. Emile is a free-lancer, and is able to set up customized itineraries in the Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel area. His contact information - emileghaly@yahoo.com and phone 0109372117.

Disclaimer- this is an unsolicited recommendation.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellent Luxor tour guide

rchin41 there are a lot of fake postings on here about guides. Would you please write a travel report so others know what you did and everything it entailed?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellent Luxor tour guide

Hi Karen I have just been reading them. Personally I think the guides are asking genuine tourists to post on TA to recommend them as well as the fakes.

Hope you enjoyed your trip.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellent Luxor tour guide

Yes Nana I would think that some probably do ask customer to do this. Prices and where and what people did all help others who are looking for guides. Nice to see a new guide recommended

though ;-)

england
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellent Luxor tour guide

we have also just returned and we had Hassany Morsi Osman

we found him very good indeed

toronto, canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellent Luxor tour guide

KAZL: I realize from reading previous posts before my trip that there is a lot of self-promotion by guides on this and other sites. I did not contract with Mr. Ghaly prior to my arriving in Egypt. Rather, he was the guide assigned to our party of 5 by the tour operator in Cairo, who was arranged by my travel agent in Toronto. He picked up our group in Luxor and was our guide on a 4 day Nile cruise to Aswan, with stops at Edfu and Kom Ombo. In Aswan, he arranged a coach trip to Abu Simbel for myself and 3 others in our group who had not purchased this excursion in Toronto. Price in Toronto $180 US price in Aswan - $75 US. Same bus, same tour company. The point is, you can get the same tour in Egypt for a lot less than buying thru TA at home. I will restrict my trip report in this posting, as it has to do with tour guides, and will give another report(s) on this site under different topic(s).

As a footnote - I had another guide in Cairo, also assigned by the tour operator, whom I would not recommend, as he was quite aggressive when it came to tip time.

caraway
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellent Luxor tour guide

a generous and helpful response from rchin41. Good to see a valuable frank exchanfge on this site. I have often wondered how many "tips" are genuine.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellent Luxor tour guide

Dear rchin41 - I read your report with interest and the responses that you received and I am really going to have a go at this one. In the past I have reported various things on this site reflecting my experiences and nearly always have met with aggressive replies from British travellers who I consider, have a mind set of "ownership" of Egypt. As I visit Luxor 4 to 5 times a year and have done so for the past 4 years, I certainly know a lot about Luxor but my advice is nearly always met with argument or ignored and I wonder why this is? I note that you are Canadian and instead of reply postings thanking you for your information, you too have met with argument and aggression to the point that you have had to defend yourself. My observations are that generally, the Luxor & Aswan guides are all excellent as they have university degrees and are licensed by the Ministry of Tourism. As they are freelancers, they have to be good at their job or they wouldn't get work. I know a couple of fabulous Luxor guides and have tried to put their details here in the past but have also been accused of touting and some of my posts have been removed because of unfair complaints. I have also noticed that the Cairo guides can certainly not be as easy going as those in Upper Egypt. So I agree with your report and subsequent response wholeheardedly ..... and thank you! - No correspondence entered into -

Plymouth England
Level Contributor
372 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellent Luxor tour guide

Hi rchin41 & Belly Dancer I feel I must jump to KAZL2000's defence I have read many posts from her and at no time have I noticed "aggression" in any of them.

She has been helpful and forthcoming in all her replies. ( no I don't know her )

She was simply asking for a fuller report so that people can see the services offered by the guide.

I also agree that there are a lot of fake reccomendations on TA you only have to read the way they are written to see that.

I don't have the "I own Egypt mindset" that you imply English people have and expect people will object to that implication. Please don't judge everyone by the actions of a few.

I have only been to Egypt once last October and am returning this September because I thought the Country was fantastic and the people friendly and helpful. I had a fantastic guide organized through Karnack travel but did not get his details so I could not reccomend him when I got home.

There are people who think that because they have been more than once that they know everthing there is to know but personally I treat each posting as it is "a posting" not as fact but mearly peoples experiences of their trip. I take information from each one and then make my own mind up. This forum is a mine of information for those who want and need it. I benefited a lot from the information i got from here before we went.

I ask questions of the forum and reply to the best of my ability where and when and if I can .

Sorry you feel that you suffer agression to your postings but please do not imply all people are the same.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellent Luxor tour guide

Colin & Diane - I am certainly not implying that all people are the same and that I know Egypt more than anyone else - all I am saying is that everyone in this forum is entitled to an opinion and the chance of offering advice when they have the experience to do so without being unduly criticised. I am also not pointing the finger at anyone in general (that was your conculsion in naming a poster) - what I feel is a general perception that I have gained over the few years that I have been contributing on TA. I also felt sorry for rchin41 when his post was attacked as I had an inkling how he felt and hence his defensive reply and my defence of him. As an example, I posted a warning regarding excess baggage charges when leaving Egypt on this forum a couple of months ago and was criticised for carrying too much baggage, being a female, not understanding airline regulations and my warning was generally dismissed. I was absolutely demoralised! However, about 2 weeks later another poster from England posted the same warning and was applauded for letting everyone know the new regulations. Why was his warning treated differently to mine? I do have a fair knowledge of the workings of the tourist industry in Luxor and as testament to this, I will be arriving in Luxor in just over a week with a tour group that I am bringing from Australia. I have quite a network of contacts, friends and acquaintances in Egypt that I can draw this knowledge from. All I am asking is that everyone who posts a comment on this forum be given a "fair go" - to coin a well known Aussie phrase.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellent Luxor tour guide

All i asked was for was Rchin41 to give a more detailed report about his guide and prices. What is wrong with that?

Rchin41 I appreciate the fact that you put up more information. When people are looking for guides they tend to type in their name to find other posts about them. So all your information helps to make an informed decision.

Bellydancer if people have been offhand with you then ok I understand your frustration but why is my comment offensive? I am only asking what any traveller would want to know. What he/she did and how much it was.

Get answers to your questions about Luxor
Recent Conversations