We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying cigarettes

kent
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
buying cigarettes

Hi

Staying in Luxor next month ( june ) and wondered , being a smoker , where is the best place / cheapest to buy cigarettes ? I want to bring a few back as they are so expensive in the uk . Also , how many are we allowed to bring back into the uk , and how much for 200 Benson & Hedges ?

Kind regards

Phil

uk
Level Contributor
592 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying cigarettes

Cigs are for sale wherever you go, they will come to you I can assure you. as for prices I can't help you, they are quite cheap

When travelling from outside the EU to the UK you are allowed to bring in the following, provided you travel with the items and do not intend to sell them.

200 cigarettes; or 100 cigarillos; or 50 cigars; or 250 gms of tobacco

2 litres of still table wine

1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22% volume; or 2 litres of fortified wine, sparkling wine or other liqueurs

60cc/ml of perfume

250cc/ml of toilet water

£145 worth of all other goods including gifts and souvenirs

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying cigarettes

Hi

I was smoking L&M ciggys, I paid about £7 for 200 in Luxor its self....In Luxor airport duty free i paid £4 for 200 L&M.

All prices in the airport duty free in luxor are prices in usa dollars, they convert the prices back into £'s or Egyptian pounds or Euros.

Dont pay in Egyptian pounds as the exhchange rate is really bad.. use UK pounds.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying cigarettes

Hi Phil. We're not smokers but sometimes buy a pack of 200 to bring home for a friend. You can get them quite cheaply at the kiosks by bartering the price, and you can also go to the local supermarkets and buy them very cheaply at a fixed price. I'm not sure what the price will be just now, but others on this forum will be able to tell you. Before my husband stopped smoking he never brought any in to Luxor and just bought ciggies when we got there - however some UK and Western brands are not available.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying cigarettes

My wife buys KARELLEA lights, we get them first at the duty free shop on arrival. Easy to miss the shop as you are so busy leaving, just by the glass doors as you finally leave the airport building and once you are out you cant get back in. My wife usually goes to the shop while I am getting the bags and gets 800, 4 dollars for 200, then I get another 800 on my way out. You can also go to the duty free shop in Luxor within the first 48 hours, you have to take your passport and you are only allowed 600 each. We usually travel via Gatwich and never see anyone stopped at customs, but this time we went via Birmingham and saw 3 people getting there bags searched, one from our hotel and pulling her cigs out of the bag as I walked passed. You can also buy them at the duty free shop on departure. On arrival and at the duty free shop in Luxor they will stamp your passport to ensure you don't exceed your limit but they don't check your passport on departure.

Phil

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: buying cigarettes

Just a note - The price of cigarettes has just risen in Egypt in the past week. Even Cleopatra, the cheapest brand are now 40LE for 200. Sounds cheap to travellers from abroad but it's a big increase for the poorly paid here and most Egyptian men tend to smoke.

In fact prices for many things have risen quite dramatically, basic food items such as bread and rice, also fuel prices.

kent
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: buying cigarettes

Thank you all very much !!!

Phil

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: buying cigarettes

Just a little warning. Watch out if you buy fags from street vendors, many will sell you fakes. My son in England will smoke ANYTHING, but he couldn't stomach the Marlboro which I took back for him last year, when I tasted one it reminded me of used engine oil!

Mind you, I thought I was being clever and saving quite a bit off the £7.50ish price in the duty free at Luxor airport. What a fool!

I cannot remember if I've seen B&H here, but one of my regular guests says that the Keralia, which Phil900 mentioned, are a good substitute.

Plymouth England
Level Contributor
372 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buying cigarettes

We paid £7.00 for 200 Marlborough from one of the shop along the main street in October they were fine. Think I will get them from the airport on arrival next time.

UK
Level Contributor
574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying cigarettes

As an expert smoker of many years standing...which means fewer years ahead of course...a few thoughts...

In the UK our cigarettes carry a health warning - as do other countries in Europe.

Every time I buy a packet at £5-50, the Government gets around £3-00 in tax and VAT...a bit more I think.

The UK and European Governments spend £BILLIONS in subsidies to encourage the growth of poor quality tobacco in 3rd world countries...the cigarette manufacturers (such as Gallaghers - currently under investigation for encouraging international smuggling).

Who uses the more dangerous sub standard tobacco? Where is it sold?

Who controls the production of it?

Where does it end up?

I would suggest, in countries where health warnings cannot be read by the indiginous population, and no one gives a sh1t anyway?

I do NOT buy cigarettes in Egypt, not for politcal reasons, just that they taste like camel dung...wonder why?

Matt

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
500 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying cigarettes

Prices have just gone up for all cigarettes.

L&M's will now cost you 65LE or 60LE for a carton of 200. Marlboro are (I think) around 100LE now for 200. Prices have increased by roughly 20LE on a carton of 200.

Fuel has also increased dramatically in price, by roughly 25%, so expect to be paying more for taxis in the near future. This will also have a knock on effect on all trips which you may be booking because of the additional transport costs.

The same thing goes for restaurants etc, as food prices are going up daily, add to that the increased cost of getting supplies delivered to Luxor and you could find your sterling doesnt go quite as far as it used to.

I would also like to say that these increases are hitting the local population very hard indeed as there is no corresponding increase in wages and salaries.