We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What souveniers to bring back

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What souveniers to bring back

What would everyone recommend on buying while in Luxor? My husband tries to buy a local artist painting wherever we go so he wants to know if its practical to get items shipped home or is it extortionate.I wondered about egyptian cotton but would I end up having to dump half our holiday clothes just so we didn't exceed our baggage allowance.What does everyone else buy?

England
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What souveniers to bring back

Papyrus is good and very light but dont buy it on an organised trip as the price is higher. Silver and gold I think are also good buys a friend bought a ring for £95 and had it valued back home for £270.

The best cotton is apparently saved for export so not worth the weight

There is a art gallery above the Oasis cafe in Luxor unsure if the pictures are for sale but I am sure someone here will know.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What souveniers to bring back

Hi there.

I usually buy something in gold or silver while in Luxor - but you need to barter for it. Also, there is a nice little Fairtrade shop at the back of the Luxor Temple that sells lots of lovely things such as scarves, jewellery, bags etc. I bought a super beaded purse there a few years ago that I keep my mobile phone in when I'm on holiday. It's a fixed price shop as far as I remember. Buying from this shop supports the local communities. Also there are some nice shops around the New Winter Palace - one sells a lot of nice wooden ornaments, boxes etc. made in a local village, and another had some very unusual leather bags last year. Leather bags and pouffes are other items that we've brought back - you need to be careful now though because of weight restrictions, which is a pain! The shop that sells the wood also had some very unusual papyrus and some nice wooden jewellery. Also in this same area is a Mobacco Cotton shop that sells nice quality T-shirts, polo shirts etc. - gents and ladies. The only problem here is that if there's demolition work going on around the New Winter Palace I don't know if this will affect these shops - someone here on the forum may be able to answer that.

UK
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What souveniers to bring back

Alabaster pots or ornaments,scarves, it really depends on your personal taste as to what you would want to buy. Next time I go I am going to wait till I am going home to buy all my presents etc as they are far cheaper at the airport and you don't have all the hassle of bargaining!!

London
Level Contributor
419 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What souveniers to bring back

You can get nice weaved 'throws' almost everywhere, quite cheap. They could be put on beds or sofas or used as a tablecloth, but they can weigh up your luggage.

Little cheap models of Egyptian Gods, Bast cats etc are aplenty and make nice gifts, as do the toy camels.

Gold is a usually good buy and there are a lot of jewellery shops. You need to haggle a bit.

A lot of people come back with a 'hubble-bubble' pipe.

Papyrus paintings can vary - some are very cheap and printed on rather than being produced by an artist but you can usually tell by the quality when you see them. Either way, it's a nice thing to bring back to put up on your wall.

The Aboudy bookshop sells prints by Roberts, who painted evocative and beautiful scenes of the temples, which you can bring home and frame. They also sell postcards, papyrus bookmarks, little silk weaved tablemats etc.

A Fez is fun!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What souveniers to bring back

Hi, I've never seen another person mention Sterling Silver key chains and they are one of my favorite souveniers. I remember we were coming back in from a morning out, going back to the cruiser (Nile) and there was this little shop on a dirt road. Some of us walked back and I bought 4 of them, they are about 8 inches long, big thick links with either a scarab, Ramses, Cleopatra etc on the end. I use them daily and they never wear out. I think this was around the Luxor area. I saw a few in the hotel gift shop back in Cairo but they weren't as nice.

All the other suggestions here are good ones. I bargained hard with a "boat" vendor for one of the silky, couch throws and truly love it. Also, get a tablecloth and napkins. I'm getting an inlaid Backgammon board this time aroung. (Note: get an idea of what things cost from an Egyptian Importer on line, then you have a bases for comparison and can "haggle")There's so many fun things! Happy Travels

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What souveniers to bring back

Shop to your heart's delight or until the money runs out - alabaster pots, bowls, statues; gold & silver jewellery; inlaid MOP bowls, plates, tables; scarves & throws; touristy souvenirs such as pharonic statues, pyramids, ashtrays, key chains, fridge magnets; exquisite porcelain in mugs, tea sets, plates & more; traditional galabayas; belly dance belts and costumes; spices and teas; stuffed toys such as camels; old brass & copper pots and plates: shishas; perfume bottles & oils; papyrus paintings: camel saddle seats; t-shirts, sandals & hats ..........

I've bought it all!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What souveniers to bring back

..... oh I forgot - sheets & towels too!

LOL :)

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,932 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What souveniers to bring back

You can but a string of little packets of spices for about 50 pence in the souk and they make a nice small present for people back home - they are decorative as well as useful.

NSW
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What souveniers to bring back

As others have mentioned, gold and silver are usually a bargin in Egypt.

Papyrus is also a very Egyptain souviner, and there are some really great designs with interesting stories behind them. Just be careful, as some papyrus is more reputable than others.

The funniest 'souviner' purchase I have witnessed was an enterprising English friend of mine. She realised how cheap certain spices were in Egypt compared to the UK. So she brought loads to sell off to her friends lol. I think she must have had 2kg of saffron in her bag on the way home!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What souveniers to bring back

The Oasis Cafe (a good restaurant) displays & sells work by local artists. You can enjoy a good meal while you browse. Its round the corner from the Etap (Mercure Coralia) and just across the road from the Phillipe Hotel.