We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

acceptable dresswear

aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
acceptable dresswear

can anyone tell me what kind of clothing is acceptable whilst visiting temples etc - do women have to have shoulders and knees covered or are vests and shorts the norm as it will be very hot in august

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: acceptable dresswear

Simple dress rules

1 For hot countries (Luxor probably 42 at moment) wear natural fibres, i.e. Silk, Cotton, Linen

2 For hot Muslim Countries wear natural fibres, i.e. Silk, Cotton, Linen and COVER UP

Respect your hosts

Luxor is a city, not a beach resort. Local women who show flesh off are regarded as tarts and can be spat at.

This has happened (not often, but it has) to tourists.

Places like Sharm, on the Red Sea, are purpose built beach resorts - different standards apply - Sharm might as well be anywhere in the world that has sun/sea & (sometimes) sand.

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
80 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: acceptable dresswear

I was in Luxor a couple of weeks ago and many if not all of the women were wearing shorts and tops. Noone had any problems with the local men or anything. Saying that, personally I brought along a ver lightweight sarong and used that pn my shoulders, head sometimes, out of respect and also coz it was bloody hot even then!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: acceptable dresswear

While walking around towns, females should wear loose clothes covering upper arms, legs and chest. Vests are not suitable, nor are short shorts. Loose cotton or linen is cooler, will prevent sunburn, and will also give the message that you respect local culture. The more you cover up, the less hassle you will get.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: acceptable dresswear

There was quite a discussion on TA a week or so ago regarding acceptable dress in Luxor and Egypt in general. Egypt is a muslim country and the dress code is modes. Singlet tops and shorts for women in the street and around the ancient sites are not considered the proper attire. Verity's advice is the correct mode of dress. Cover shoulders and definately wear longer shorts or skirts. If you dress less than awhat the Egyptians think is acceptable and think you are not being harrassed or hassled, you don't actually hear the less than favourable remarks from the Egyptians - you don't hear what I hear!

T-shirts & longer shorts or 3/4 pants are fine as well as giving you more coverage from the sun.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: acceptable dresswear

Hi there

I would also like to reinforce what is being said and would urge to to heed the advice of the others. Although extremely hot, you will actually be very glad to cover up to stop the searing heat of the sun scorching your skin. However, please also remember to wear high factor sun factor on any exposed parts of skin - especially your feet if wearing sandals. I bought a lightweight white scarf over in Luxor the first time I went there and still take it with me every time to cover my head and shoulders - one of the best buys I made!

6. Re: acceptable dresswear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 02:16