We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi - Nile Palace to Luxor Town Centre & Restaurant

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ENGLAND
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi - Nile Palace to Luxor Town Centre & Restaurant

Hi

My daughter & boyfriend are currently staying at the Nile Palace, they arrived on Wednesday for 14 nights.

Does anyone know what they should reasonably be expected to be paying for a taxi from Nile Palace into Town - they have paid £4 each way - seems a bit steep?

Also they cannot find anywhere cheap to eat close to the hotel - are they missing something? I have told them to use their feet and walk!!! Not had a text back yet to that suggestion.

They are students and on a budget and I think they have bitten off more than they can chew!! They also live in cloud cuckoo land!!

They are in Aswan at the moment, back in Luxor on Monday, so if I can get some top tips of people on here I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Bex

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi - Nile Palace to Luxor Town Centre & Restaurant

Hi there

I know that there are restuarants and also Murphy's Irish Bar more or less just opposite the Nile Palace in the little streets that run up from from that main street the NP is in. Not sure of the current prices, but folks on this forum will be able to tell you that. Also, turning right from the NP there is 7 Days 7 Ways, John & John's etc. If it's £4GB they're talking about into town I would say that's quite steep - but again not sure of current prices. (I haven't been in Luxor since October last year). However, is it £4GB or 4LE they're talking about?

I would agree with you telling them to use their feet though - they are missing so much by taking taxis everywhere.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi - Nile Palace to Luxor Town Centre & Restaurant

I agree with what Marlscat says above.

We frequently stay at the Garden pavilion in the Winter Palace. Taxi fare, without too much haggling has been about £25E for the reverse trip, so £40E is definitely too much

If they take a taxi to the Winter Palace and go down to the side of the Nile (where the cruise boats are), there is a long terrace with bars & restaurants, starting with the El Kebabgy (or something like that) They may wish (or not) to avoid the large screens with Sky Sports on.

Or go past the WP and take the 1st right at the Traffic Lights towards the Souk (past Macdonalds!) - there are plenty of restaurants there.

Any Brit people in these restaurants will give them the going rate for taxi's.

Tip - Don't say Winter Palace to the taxi-driver - use Karnak Travel, or Jollies Travel - these are just outside it. If you say the WP you are assumed to be a millionaire and charged accordingly

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi - Nile Palace to Luxor Town Centre & Restaurant

Taxi fare definately over the odds, I would say £20E

max.

Depends on what you call cheap - compared to eating in the hotels all the Luxor restaurants are cheaper.

Down a side road virtually opposite Nile Palace are Snob and The Lantern plus a couple of other restaurant (there are illuminated signposts on the main road outside the Nile Palace pointing the way to these).

On leaving the Nile Palace turn right and head down the main road towards the Sheraton Hotel (which is the opposite direction to heading towards the cente of Luxor) there are quite a number of restaurants Maxime's, Jems, John and Johns, 7 days 7 ways etc etc all very cheap plus there is a Pizza Hut and I think a KFC. All these are between 2 mins and 10 mins walk from the Nile Palace.

stowmarket u.k
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi - Nile Palace to Luxor Town Centre & Restaurant

hi we stayed at the murcure we paid £4 return to the centre, there is a resturant called maxims which is very nice and resonable we paid £12 for the both of us and had a starter each and a steak meal.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
500 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi - Nile Palace to Luxor Town Centre & Restaurant

A taxi from Nile Palace to say the Old Winter Palace or to the start of the souk should not cost more than 10 egyptian pounds, but as they are leaving the Nile Palace it will be assumed they are rolling in money. Tell them to cross the street and walk down towards the St Joseph Hotel and they will get cheaper prices.

If you would like me to meet up with them for a coffee and give them some pointers I would be happy to. If they say yes, pm me and I will give you my phone number so they can contact me.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi - Nile Palace to Luxor Town Centre & Restaurant

10LE max for this short taxi trip. They are also missing out on a lot of experiences by taking taxis everywhere as everything in Luxor is so close. A walk from the Nile Palace to the town centre would be 10-15 mins max. Also, there are plenty of grocery/supermarket shops, bakeries, fruit & veg stalls so that they can buy their own and have cheap lunches & snacks. Food is generally cheap in Luxor - even dining out is not over the top. Dining in the hotel restaurants can be expensive tho.

England
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi - Nile Palace to Luxor Town Centre & Restaurant

I have to agree with bellydancer it took me a 20 min stroll from there to behind Luxor temple and although it was 40 plus temperature it was most enjoyable. Just dont forget the hat and water

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi - Nile Palace to Luxor Town Centre & Restaurant

Thank you to all who responded with tips & advice - I will pass it on to them when they return from Aswan.

ShareenLuxor, I will pass on your very kind offer and pm you if they think they need you to go out of your way for them - thank you so much, really kind of you to offer to do that

I really appreciate all your help.

Bex

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi - Nile Palace to Luxor Town Centre & Restaurant

If they manage to get to the town centre and pass MacDonalds, then Snacktime is more less next door, and they have cheap and good food, served in clean and airconditioned surroundings.

Louise

Devon
Level Contributor
206 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi - Nile Palace to Luxor Town Centre & Restaurant

It was interesting to read what price should be paid (or not) for a taxi from The Nile Palace to the Corniche but what about a Caleche. Could someone please give up to date prices for a celeche ride for 2 people please?