We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5* in Egypt does not equal 5* in Dubai!

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
5* in Egypt does not equal 5* in Dubai!

After reading another hotel review complaining about the standard of the supposed '5*' rating please, please,please can people remember where they are going and what they are paying. Researching on here is simple enough to find out what the hotels are like. Posters (most of them only seem to have the the one post!)are coming on here complaining about the hotel not being 5*......if only they came on here and actually read the posts or asked questions. There is no need to dumb down a hotel because you are comparing it to the likes of Dubai!!

OK rant over ;-)and hope this helps someone.

Karen

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5* in Egypt does not equal 5* in Dubai!

But you are so right Karen. Well said! Still thinking about making that inside-article about hotel-standards in Egypt and then linking to it whenever I make a post.

Louise

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5* in Egypt does not equal 5* in Dubai!

Louise that would be really good and so helpful...do it!! I have just read a couple of reviews on a few hotels in Luxor and if I was a first time traveller it would put me off going. Such a shame.

London
Level Contributor
393 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5* in Egypt does not equal 5* in Dubai!

I couldn't agree more, Karen. I think some people have very unrealistic expectations about Luxor. We had planned on going somewhere different this year, but once we started comparing the price of holidays to other countries with the cost of going to Luxor again, we decided to return to Egypt again. It cost us just over £1600 for two weeks at the Sonesta, including a separate double room for our daughter and SCHEDULED flights - it would cost more than that at a fleapit on the Costa Del Sol! Whilst an Egyptian 5* hotel might not equate to 5* in Dubai, the UK, or US, the major hotels in Luxor are still extremely comfortable and generally provide an excellent standard of service, expecially considering what you are paying. I can't think of anywhere in the world that offers such good value for money as Luxor, or such incredible and memorable sights.

UK
Level Contributor
574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5* in Egypt does not equal 5* in Dubai!

And the Luxor hotel staff are about the best and friendliest I have found in half a lifetime of travelling!

Matt.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5* in Egypt does not equal 5* in Dubai!

hi, i am going on my second cruise and stay to egypt next month and have read all the reviews on this very helpful forum on all the hotels and cruise ships, while some complaints may be genuine i think some people will complain no matter what the accomodation is , so look at all the good reviews and question the bad ones

alice

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5* in Egypt does not equal 5* in Dubai!

The fact is, that some travel agents do not have a clue that 5* luxury in Egypt is not like 5* luxury in Dubai (or other places). Agents MUST stop overselling their hotels and cruises and be honest about it. It is mainly foreing agents, but Egyptian agents can be as bad concerning this. Almost every single catalogue (online or in paper) who sell "Deluxe Trip To Egypt" are, in my book, wildly overselling, because when I see what hotels they use and what cruise boats they use, I just know that no way is this considered deluxe, and then the traveller is bound to come back home sorely disappointed that not everything was like in Dubai (or Spain or USA or Mexico etc)

Louise

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5* in Egypt does not equal 5* in Dubai!

Thanks to all your extremely valid replies with some very good points. I think I have a bee in my bonnet today! lol ;-0

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
626 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5* in Egypt does not equal 5* in Dubai!

Well said, Karen - I absolutely agree with you .. and the other posters above.

One common thread that runs through negative reviews is that the poster has had a bad experience (sickness, theft, overcharging, mosquito bites) which has then coloured their view of the hotel, the holiday and/or Egypt. That's only natural.

However, one thing guests will NOT get in Egyptian hotels is the kind of cringing servility which is the hallmark of some expensive European places - "If I'm paying enough, I get to treat the staff like dirt".

The drivers, waiters and cleaners I met in Egypt were never servile - they needed my custom, they appreciated my tips as personal recognition of the service given, but they never lost their dignity.

The best advice for anyone planning a holiday in Egypt is to remember that every encounter is personal.

That's a line I read on TA (sorry I can't remember who from) and from my family's experience in Luxor it's the key to the culture.

It goes beyond "do as you would be done by".

If you engage with the reception clerk, the tour guide or the driver they will do their utmost beyond the call of duty to meet your wishes. If you snap your fingers and look through them, they won't.

Some folk don't get it.

Richard

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5* in Egypt does not equal 5* in Dubai!

I just want to make it clear, that it isn't the foreign tour companies, nor the Egyptian tour companies that are falsely selling hotels at different rates. The star rating is set by the Egyptian Government and NOT by the hotel itself.

This is the problem - that Egypt has different standards then foreign hotels - if there was one universal standard for issuing star ratings for all hotels world wide - then we'd really find out the value.

I think LouiseAl's suggestion to make an inside topic on it is a great one - it may help people to not expect to get a 5 star hotel - even though they think they've booked and paid for one (which is a really sad thought actually!)

Plymouth England
Level Contributor
372 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5* in Egypt does not equal 5* in Dubai!

Well said Karen I have only been once (soon to be twice) but by chance I came across this site before we went.

I came on asked questions looked at the posts and realised that I would not be getting a 5* hotel by British standards even at the JV.

So pre-warned I did not set my expectaions up to high.

No the JV is not 5* but it is a fantastic place to stay and if I wanted to I could find fault, the outdated bathrooms for example then come on here sl*g of the hotel / restaurants / people never to heard of again.

I notice many of the posters come on complain then don't even have the decency to reply to the responses they get.

If your going somewhere for the first time at least make the effort to find out about the place before you go.

The travel agents are partly to blame as they don't seem to know or care about the holidays they sell as long as they get their commision.

That said I am returning to the JV in 10 days knowing that I will find a good 4* hotel with fantastic staff brilliant views and an all round great place to stay.

I for one say thank you to all who have posted advice on here and if I can help in a small way by helping others with the little I have learnt in Egypt then I feel I have in some small way helped to repay some of the help and advice that I recieved from the communnity that is the Luxor forum.

Thank You All

Get answers to your questions about Luxor