We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MS Magic Internet?

North West England
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
MS Magic Internet?

My son & I are booked on the MS Magic (I don't know whether I or II yet) for December 8th. We would like to keep in touch with home and wondered if the boat has a useable internet connection so that we can send emails & possibly photos.

The Hayes & Jarvis brochure says there is internet on the MS Magic but is this a single PC that the guests can lon on to, or a wired or WiFi connection that I will need to take my Laptop to access?

I would hope that the ship had a permenant internet connection linked by radio, or at the least WiFi hotspots around the overnite stops.

Has anyone any first hand experiances?

Thanks.

North West England
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: MS Magic Internet?

Just returned from our Nile cruise on MS MAGIC II and It was FANTASTIC!! We booked with Hayes & Jarvis via Thomas Cook.

In answer to my original question above, the boat provides a communal PC (with a webcam and Windows XP) and you can hire a Laptop or connect your own via WiFi (although I didn't try that). You can play the standard games that come with Windows or use some of the Microsoft applications (such Paint or Word) for free. If you want to access the internet then you have to buy blocks of download at 10 or 25MB a time. You buy scratch cards from the reception and enter the code number into the internet gateway.

My son was bored one afternoon so I purchased 25MB and he tried to run the web based games he plays at home on the communal PC. Unfortunatly the link (satcom I think) was rather slow and the PC didn't have flash player etc. The user account does not have administrator privilages so we couldn't install flash player. I asked at reception if they knew the password for the administrator account but they didn't understand what I was talking about (Lack of IT skills rather than language dificulties).

By the time we had figured out that he couldn't do much we were down to 14MB.

If all you want to do is check your email (via webmail) then you will be OK with 10MB (although it's a bit pricy) but if you want to surf around websites with a lot of content then you will soon use up your download limit. Don't even think about sending large files.

Another thing to note is the cost of mobile phone calls. It cost us almost as much to receive a call from the UK as it did for us to call home. In effect Vodafone got paid twice. Texts were expensive too.

All this aside, the Nile cruise was fantastic and made especially so by our Egyptologist. We were very luckey to get Rasha, who really looks after her group.

Norwich
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MS Magic Internet?

Had a great cruise in Dec on NILE RITZ ,Thompson Explorer, the point of my reply is after spending most of the year involved in one way or another with my p-c , the last thing I wish to have the use of is a p-c when enjoying my get away from it all winter break. Am I a grumpy old man or do others agree when on holiday no mobiles or p-c etc are needed or necessary.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MS Magic Internet?

Seelda,

Thanks for coming back and replying to yourself! I'm sure others will find it useful in the future.

And Norfolklad: yes you are grumpy! Bless you for it!

North West England
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: MS Magic Internet?

In reply to Norfolklad, I too use a PC all day & everyday at work and sometimes at home too.

I had intended to use a PC whilst on holiday as a cheap way to stay in touch with my wife, who stayed at home because she didn't fancy risking health problems and it was my 10 year old son who wanted to go.

He actually asked when he was about 7 and I said "when you're older" to which he replied "how much older?" to which I, rather foolishly, replied "when you're 10!". I thought he'd lose interest, but when he turned 10 last March he said "when are we going to Egypt dad?"

When I found out that my wife would rather use the mobile, even though it is very expensive, I was happy not to use the PC, but my son was a bit boared one day so I gave in (I think you can see that I'm an easy touch where he's concerned). You see, to a 10 year old a computer is a toy not a tool.

As it happens, I'm thought of as grumpy too. But almost the first thing that my son said to his mum when we got home was that dad hadn't been grumpy the entire holiday.

It was that Good!

Norwich
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MS Magic Internet?

Pleased you and especially your son had a good trip.I just hope that holiday,s like Nile cruise,s with wi fi do not end,s up with a sun deck full of guy,s on laptop,s keeping up with business,s the whole point of a break is to escape,s . I.m sure there are plenty of bosses would say take your note pad pc with you so I can keep in touch in case of any problem,s ,would end up like a commuter train.I love to hear other folk,s view,s cheer,s G.O.M

UK
Level Contributor
340 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MS Magic Internet?

Seelda glad you enjoyed your Nile cruise. Can you tell me on what day the Abu Simbel trip was? And can you remember how much it cost and if there was an option to do road or fly? Did you do this excursion? Also were there any other optional excursions? We're doing this cruise in March and looking forward to it! Many thanks.

Norwich
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MS Magic Internet?

Hi although the Ritz is a bit dated every thing on board was excellent the A I worked very well with egyptian spirits now available. The complete set of trips was £145 Abu Simbel is on Sat , I am fairly sure the only option is to fly if you book with Thompson,s ,The start time is not to early and every one said it was excellent trip ,I think the price is around £ 150. The event which caused he biggest buzz was the balloon flight, a bit more expensive with Thompson ,but my wife said the organization was first class and the trip fantastic!!!! Booking trip,s separately worked very well for us as have we have done the Nile before, It was great not to be presented with a bill at the end of the trip ,as i understand drink,s coffee etc can be expensive on board. I was a little restricted from some activity,s as I have replacement knee,s this year, but I hope to return next year on the Ritz next Dec and do the balloon flight,sure you will have a great time .

Norwich
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MS Magic Internet?

Just to clarify the trips, All the main sites are covered in the £ 145 package,you can book any of these seperately. Balloon ,Abu Simbel,Cairo and the light and sound shows,s are not in the £145 package. Hope this is more help than my first post. cheers

UK
Level Contributor
340 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MS Magic Internet?

Many Thanks. Just realised we are on Magic 1, not 2 but I'm sure trips etc will be the same. We booked with Cosmos.

10. Re: MS Magic Internet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 08:21
Get answers to your questions about Luxor